Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam/Techron/generic/Marvel Mystery Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 AM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Yea thanks Sporty Pig. I looked them up on the web and saw what the can looks like, I'll try and find some whenI go out.
My lawn mower probably would love some. I am very rough on lawn mowers. I usually go through a lawn mower every 2-3 years. I run over sticks and fallen branches with it, rub the blade up against the curb and I never drain the gas out after the last mowing of the summer and theyrarely get a spark plug change.
I was mowing the grass yesterday and it died on me. I cleaned the air filter that was caked with dirt and mud then tried to start it and it started and ran for a few minutes then died and refused to start again. I took the spark plug out and it was coated in carbon. I cleaned it off and put it back in and it still wouldn't start. I put it back in the garage and told my wife it looks like time for another lawn mower. We went out and got my wife and step daughter a tattoo and when we came back I tried starting it again and it was a no go. I spied an old spark plug lying in the garage that was out of an old mower. I tried one last time and put that spark plug in and voila! It started right up.

My lawn mowers hate me and the feeling is mutual.
Bought my previous house in 96 and had a lawnmower then. It died last year. Changed the plug every couple of years because I hated to pull start more than once. Same with the oil. Sharpened the blade but that is it. It has never been washed since I bought it. Craftsman unit so I can't say if it was a Tecumseh or a B&S motor but the day it died, it was dieseling. Dunno why you run thru so many mowers.

Fuel in the tank from first start in spring is whatever is left over from fall. I use Stabil on my lawn equipment fuel because someone who owes me gives me either Stabil or SeaFoam. I don't ask how he got it but since that is the only way I seem to get paid, I'll take it. I would have checked the quality of the spark. Is it clear and defined and blue or breaking apart when you crank? Is the wire shot?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 AM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. 2 maybe 3 mowers in the last 20 years. And that was only because someone needed a mower, couldn't afford one so we gave them ours and upgraded.
I change the oil at the beginning of each season. New spark plugs every two years. At the end of the season I run the mower till it's out of gas. Now that I know about sea faom, I'll just add a little in the tank and put it away.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:36 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Only took four years.....but they got the answers they needed.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 AM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marine_hm@hotmail.com
Same here. 2 maybe 3 mowers in the last 20 years. And that was only because someone needed a mower, couldn't afford one so we gave them ours and upgraded.
I change the oil at the beginning of each season. New spark plugs every two years. At the end of the season I run the mower till it's out of gas. Now that I know about sea faom, I'll just add a little in the tank and put it away.
Stabil, while it is free for me seems to work and is cheaper. I say "seems to work" because I can't be certain. With and without the engine seems to fire up but since I get it at a price I can't refuse, I use it. It gives a funny smell when you start it up after the winter. I don't run them out of gas either.