Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 AM
scrunchee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander question

I have an '08 Custom Sportster with Rush slip ons - 2" baffles. I was thinking of getting a Power Commander and contacted Jamie at Fuel Moto. He said he would program one for the Rush slip ons and recommended getting a Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner. I don't know too much about this stuff so I have several questions. Is all this worth getting for my bike? If so, do I get the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner or the Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather? Jamie at Fuel Moto said either one would work. How does the Power Commander get installed and is it easy to do? Would there be anything else I would need to do to the bike after installing the air cleaner and Power Commander? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 AM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

Is all this worth getting for my bike?

- I think yes

If so, do I get the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner or the Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather? Jamie at Fuel Moto said either one would work.

- Up to you, the heavy breather is more expensive, but looks cooler... I have the standard stage 1 myself.

How does the Power Commander get installed and is it easy to do?

- Yes it is easy, the hardest part is to fit excess cable under the seat, but the instructions are very good on how to accomplish this.

Would there be anything else I would need to do to the bike after installing the air cleaner and Power Commander?

- Not really, but I did remove the lambda sensors and put some 'plugs' in their places, this way they will not degrade by being on the bike.

cheers

Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely worth it. Performance was a night and day difference on my bike as soon as I turned it on.

I like the heavy breather. I've heard that others have had problems with bolts coming loose and getting sucked into the engine from the stage 1 AC.

Install was not complicated, but the Nightster doesn't have much room under the seat, so getting the wiring harness to fit took some time. Once I got that figured out, it was not problem.

You wouldn't need to do anything else once you got the PC3 and AC installed. If you want to squeeze a little more power out of your bike, you can get it dyno'd and have a custom map for your specific bike.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM
scrunchee
Intermediate
Smile

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
elvis240sx
Intermediate

Yeah getting it dyno tuned is a good idea. Every engine runs differently so it is nice to know your tune is matched exactly to your engine and add-ons

Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Yatez004
Tourer

While were on the PCIII subject. Im buying one. I have a Bassani 2-1 and a SE Heavy Breather. You guys with the PCIII, are there any Maps closely resembling my set up? Its on an 883 btw.

Not to hyjack the thread but when I get it, How do I install the map?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Scrunch, I put a PCIII on my stone stock 2007 1200C and it is a completely different bike now. Well worth it in my opinion and easy to install. I told Jamie what I had, he sent it set up for my bike, I can add Screaming Eagle Street Mufflers with no change required when the time comes.

Attached Thumbnails Power Commander question-harley-now-010-small-.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Yatez004
While were on the PCIII subject. Im buying one. I have a Bassani 2-1 and a SE Heavy Breather. You guys with the PCIII, are there any Maps closely resembling my set up? Its on an 883 btw.

Not to hyjack the thread but when I get it, How do I install the map?
Check Power commander's website to see what maps are available. If you get it from Jamie @ Fuel moto, he'll program a map for you.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
scrunchee
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated. I'm definitely going to invest in the PC III and heavy breather.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
comaman2
Banned

i run power commanders and the k&N high floe air cleaner kits in both my bikes, both were purchased from jammie,the install on my fxdbi was a little difficult but with calm and thinking they all fit in.the performance is awsome, air cleamer kits are simple on any bike

Quick Reply: Power Commander question