Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 to 1200 conversion - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
tmathers
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's worth it

I have an '07 883L I bought new. I had the dealer install the HD "big bore kit" so the motor is now a 1200. It makes a big difference! I commute to work on Los Angeles freeways and have had no trouble with the bike. It has 10K miles on it now and runs strong. I'm not worried about top speed as much as acceleration and handling. I split lanes everyday on the freeways. The bike saves me time everyday since I don't have to stop - just keep going.

If I want to go fast I get on the VROD.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:08 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the NRHS 1250 kit put on my 883 and it had a lot more power but it also had a bigger thirst for oil. Like a quart every 500 miles. Others with 04 and up Sportsters have had the same trouble with their bikes after using the NRHS kit so if you do decide to do it I would avoid NRHS.
The problem stemmed from the new oil squirters that Harley added to the 2004 and up. NRHS used soft rings for longevity and still do in 2003 or less bikes. Now in 2004 and up they use hard rings and there has been no more problems with oil consumption. Suzuki had the same problem when they added oil squirters.
NRHS never took this problem lighlty judging from their comments on another forum. It is fixed now so go for it.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyrider
The problem stemmed from the new oil squirters that Harley added to the 2004 and up. NRHS used soft rings for longevity and still do in 2003 or less bikes. Now in 2004 and up they use hard rings and there has been no more problems with oil consumption. Suzuki had the same problem when they added oil squirters.
NRHS never took this problem lighlty judging from their comments on another forum. It is fixed now so go for it.
I'd like to see a link to where this supposed fix is documented. As far as I know the problem has not been resolved and I just checked XL Forums and see no sign of this being the official fix. As a matter of fact TonyHDS sent his top end parts back to NRHS and they were going to redo everything for free. He gets the stuff back and installed and it's still using a quart of oil every 500 miles. He got tired of it like I did and in October I see he got a Road King.
Like I said before, I would avoid using their 1250 kit at least. Not everyone has had a problem with it but if you do you will seriously regret it as it isn't an easy fix since it still hasn't been resolved going on 2 years now.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 12-31-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

Dude I'm not trying to argue with you and I don't care enough to find the link. All I am saying is that they found the problem and addressed it. If you ask anybody who has had their conversion lately you will find happy oil use free customers.
I get that you don't trust them, I wouldn't either if i was you, they should fix your bike for free. But they did fix the problem.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

All I am asking for is proof since NRHS post over on XL Forums and I don't see anywhere where they have said what the fix is. I just posted over there asking if the solution to the problem has been found and what the official fix is so we shall see. By the way TonyHDS just posted this 4 weeks ago when someone asked about a conversion over on XL Forums...
I did the 883 to a nrhs 1250 conversion on my 04.

It is the worst upgrade on my bike, it uses a quart of oil every 500 miles.
There was about 7 of us that did conversions on our rubber mounted sportys
that have deep regrets !

However, I have not heard one complaint from anyone that did the HD or SE conversion.
I agree with him completely.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

I guess the only thing I can say is to call them and have them explain it to you. Why wouldn't other kits leak oil? I would imagine that they use different rings from the begining. In all honesty I am not for or against NRHS, but I know that they have a good reputation and I know that they fixed the problem. Now this doesn't help you at all and I realize that. I would be pissed to if I was you. Look its New Years Eve, I'm going to have a good time so I'll try to find the link later.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

I just think if they fixed the problem they would have announced it on the forum they post to where people were complaining of the problem. Would make sense wouldn't it if they wanted to be honest?
I agree with your observation that why wouldn't other kits leak oil, that's what we were trying to ask a long time ago on XL Forums but NRHS kept saying it wasn't anything to do with their parts but somehow something must be wrong with the way HD designed things on the engine. It seemed like they were blaming everyone but their parts so it would surely be interesting to finally find out it indeed was some of their parts causing the problem.

Not upset with you I just want to find the truth and have anyone else avoid going through the same thing some of us others have had to go through.

Now go have yourself a good New Years. I'm cooking up some black eyed peas and plan on eating them at midnight and maybe play a little Left 4 Dead on the 360.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on the Blackeye peas at midnight PIB. Although I'll be an hour later than you. Happy New Year to ya.

Sorry to steal the thread.......back to the regular programming.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Thanks Sporty Pig!

I never even heard of eating black eyed peas on New Years for good luck till I came to Virginia and met my wife. It's a tradition I hate to miss now.

Keeping on topic, these black eyed peas will probably upgrade my gas from an 883 in my *** to a 1450 after I eat them. They are definately deadly.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:39 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK since I am the one who brought up the company, I sent an email to them asking them to clear it up for us. One thing I have heard is that it is better to have your 883 cylinders bored and fitted with new piston and to have your heads redone. Seems that since they are broken in there is less chance of warpage than if you just get new 1200 cylinders and piston. Makes some sense but not sure how true

Quick Reply: 883 to 1200 conversion - is it worth it?