Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U/K repair prices[wish i lived in the USA!!!.]

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:12 PM
motorcycles H/D
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U/K repair prices[wish i lived in the USA!!!.]

hi all,lollypop here in the U/K.right just had a rear flat tyre on my 883r sportster.ok so theres no big deal,its just nail in the tyre.wrong,at the mowment i am not to well with a bad back,pals all tied up with their own problems so had to go with the dealer for repairs.so what i can here you all thinking,well one year warranty left on bike so really wanted dealer fix.i shopped arownd within reasanble picking up distance from my house for prices for---pick up of my bike from home---removeval of back wheel+refit---new h/d dunlop 16inch tyre fitted & ballanced---ultraseal fitted to front & back wheels.when work done to have my son take me up to deallers to pick up bike.READ ££££££££££ not$$ £260.00 yes thats right £260.00,heavy or what.i would find it really interesting to know what a job like this would cost in the USA[i thik maybe you should count your LUCKY STARS over there]tara for now lollypop in the U/K..

Old 04-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Lev
Tourer
Default RE: U/K repair prices[wish i lived in the USA!!!.]

Have you tried a mobile tyre fitter?, My son in law had a flat on his Honda RVF the chap came out to his house in a perpose built van with a pivoted winch, reversed up to the bike,put a paddock stand on the front, lifted the back end with the winch, dropped the wheel out and fitted and balanced a new tyre for only about £20 more than the tyre itself would have cost from a dealer ( We are in Lincolnshire Im sure I saw one advertised in Leeds)

Lev

Old 04-28-2006, 07:11 AM
motorcycles H/D
Advanced

hi Lev,the thing is there is a bit more strip down on H/D machines,one of the exhaust pips has to come off + at 250 K,Gs its a bit heavy, then theres the belt drive,right shock bolt to remove,big torque settings for spindle,belt retentioning,etc etc.in the dealers workshop all this is nothing but without the proper tackle it could become problematic.i will get tackled up for wheel removal with a couple of flat jacks + hooks in the garage floor to strap it secure,i can see this is the sensible way to go,also if you are rigged up for this job you could tackle almost anything.thanks for your input Lev.tara for now lollypop..

Old 04-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Lev
Tourer

MMMmm never thought of that, I see what you mean. It takes about 5 minutes to get my back wheel out. Lean it onto the sidestand, a chock under the footrest, ratchet strap from frame to wall to stop any movement. Loosen the adjusters, undo the wheelnut and slip the belt off and Bobs yer Uncle.

Theres a lot to be said for having underslung suspender and pipe

Lev

Old 04-28-2006, 04:28 PM
motorcycles H/D
Advanced

hi Lev,its the same with my GILERA NORD WEST[first super moto style of bike 1994]axle track stand under the swing arm hoist it up & away you go,dead easy[very light to].anyways i love this harley being an old school type of chap its what i wanted + once i get sorted with all the stuff to do jobs safely it will be ok for me to work on.i love to ride this bike,i think it has charm??.thanks for your input Lev.tara for now lollypop.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
FXDWG3
Cruiser

Onch, that converts to US$474, I had both tires replaced with oem size and brand (HD Dunlop) for the US$414. I brought the bike (FXDWG) in and they had it done in 2 hours.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:22 PM
motorcycles H/D
Advanced

hi FXDWG3,your the first person from the USA to respond with an example dollar convertion.i new this was going to be the case in respect of this repair,i supose its the shipping costs as i know everything has to come to ENGLAND by sea.ah well,i like this bike so much with its low revving engine & relaxed disposition??,i will forgive it the expenditure this time & the dealer.i will be buying some flat jacks & an imperial A/F tool kit with the inch&one eighth sockets required for this job.[any infomation regarding this subject on lifters tools etc.would be most helpfull,it would be good to know what kits you have in the USA]anyway thanks to all who have responded.tara for now lollypop..

Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 AM
motorcycles H/D
Advanced

hi all,got sporty back today & the dealer has done a very good job.they picked it up saterday & it was done the same day,i went for it this morning & they had done all the work i had asked for,+cleaned & pollished the bike.when i looked at the invoice for break down of prices it wasnt so bad.it was the V.A.TAX.that bumped it up.alls well that ends well.tara for now lollypop..