Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped brass screw on CV carb bowl...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:07 PM
PHAT A$$
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stripped brass screw on CV carb bowl...

I hate to take credit but, I stripped one of the 4 brass screws holding the bowl to the carb. I tried to use a "grab-it" to get it out and only managed to completly rounded out the top.

I still need to jet the carb but, I didn't want to go any further without some advice 1st?

I'm thinking maybe try to file 2 sides and try small vise-grips or an open end wrench... I'm guessing if that doesn't work, am I going to have to drill it out or are there alternatives? I'm greatful for any advice, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jason

Last edited by PHAT A$$; 04-26-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have not stripped one of them yet. I have used vise grips before with a lot of success. If they wont grab tight, and I mean tight, then you will probably have to file some flats on it. If that fails I guess another option would be to try and CAREFULLY drill off the head, after you removed the others. Remove the bowl and you should be able to grab whats left with the vise grips.

Carb screws tend to stick. When I am removing them for the first time I put the carb on a flat surface and really get up on top of the screw. Pushing down while the screwdriver is up against my chest and use a quick twisting motion. All the while pushing down about as hard as I can using my upper body weight to apply downward force on the screwdriver to keep it from walking up and out of the slots. Be sure you have the correct size screwdriver and it's not all worn out. Usually a No. 2 phillips for american screws. I'm pretty sure the your carb is made in Japan and they use JIS standard screw slots. Looks like a Phillips but it's not. You can sometimes get by in a pinch with an American Phillips head screwdriver if you grind off about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch off the end so it no longer comes to a point. The JIS screws have a flat bottom to the slots and Phillips come to a point. By grinding off the point on a Phillips it goes down into the slots further and has less tendancy to walk up and out of the slots.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Sundog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice from JD. I've had success carefully cutting a slot with a hacksaw and then using a strait blade screwdriver.

When you reassemble it, use stainless steel socket head cap screws. SS will not galvanize into the aluminum. Flat washers and split-locks too. You'll never have that problem again.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
roadapple1
Advanced

What he said!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:33 AM
PHAT A$$
Tourer
Smile Thanks jdvorchak!

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
I have not stripped one of them yet. I have used vise grips before with a lot of success. If they wont grab tight, and I mean tight, then you will probably have to file some flats on it. If that fails I guess another option would be to try and CAREFULLY drill off the head, after you removed the others. Remove the bowl and you should be able to grab whats left with the vise grips.

Carb screws tend to stick. When I am removing them for the first time I put the carb on a flat surface and really get up on top of the screw. Pushing down while the screwdriver is up against my chest and use a quick twisting motion. All the while pushing down about as hard as I can using my upper body weight to apply downward force on the screwdriver to keep it from walking up and out of the slots. Be sure you have the correct size screwdriver and it's not all worn out. Usually a No. 2 phillips for american screws. I'm pretty sure the your carb is made in Japan and they use JIS standard screw slots. Looks like a Phillips but it's not. You can sometimes get by in a pinch with an American Phillips head screwdriver if you grind off about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch off the end so it no longer comes to a point. The JIS screws have a flat bottom to the slots and Phillips come to a point. By grinding off the point on a Phillips it goes down into the slots further and has less tendancy to walk up and out of the slots.
I'm a fairly smart guy and I've noticed the diffrence in phillips before but, had no idea there were different types of phillips i.e. American and JIS. Learn something new everyday.

I knew they were going to be soft and I did just as you would but, I had a pointed screw driver for my attemt at the one I stripped. Thanks again, I think I will try it again shortly.

Thanks,
J

Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
PHAT A$$
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by Sundog
Good advice from JD. I've had success carefully cutting a slot with a hacksaw and then using a strait blade screwdriver.

When you reassemble it, use stainless steel socket head cap screws. SS will not galvanize into the aluminum. Flat washers and split-locks too. You'll never have that problem again.
Sundog,

I had a hacksaw and a flat head sittin' right beside me while I was trying all this other crap! I think I'll try your idea 1st them go to vise-grips if that doesn't work out.

Thanks,
J

Old 04-28-2009, 04:09 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to put a slot in the screw top and used a regular screwcriver to take it out.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XLCR4GM
I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to put a slot in the screw top and used a regular screwcriver to take it out.
+1 That's exactly what I do in similiar circumstances.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Sundog
When you reassemble it, use stainless steel socket head cap screws. SS will not galvanize into the aluminum.
Was reading through this old thread for some information and noticed the above statement. Is this true? I thought you would still need to use a bit of anti-seize on a stainless steel fastener going into an aluminum carburetor body.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:43 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,653 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Was reading through this old thread for some information and noticed the above statement. Is this true? I thought you would still need to use a bit of anti-seize on a stainless steel fastener going into an aluminum carburetor body.
The carb body is a zinc alloy, not aluminum. Also, having a couple of JIS screwdrivers has been an invaluable addition to my toolbox. I can fix all my buddies dirt bikes carbs and other components.

John