Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fried Stator

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,218 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Fried Stator

Had the engine & battery light come on about a week ago. Came on home and started checking things out - low battery voltage code; alternator output was good, stator wasn't grounded, and voltage regulator output was good, so I charged the battery up and rode to work the next day. Got about 35 miles from the house & the idjit lights came on again. Low battery code again. Hmm, rode home after work & lights stayed off until about 35 miles again. Checked codes - same-o, same-o. Figured the battery was bad, but I didn't charge it & load test it. Slapped a new battery in, rode (yep, 35 miles) and lights again! Off to the dealer we go. Picked it up this evening with a new stator installed, courtesy of HD's new bike warranty. 18,000 miles.

Interesting sidebit- Service writer asked if I'd just changed the oil. Told him that it had been about 2600 miles. He said he could smell hot oil, but I have no leaks, don't have any in the air filter, and don't burn it. After they tore the primary apart it seems the smell was from the fried stator and primary/tranny oil.

They cleaned the bike up, too. Nice, 'cause it was covered in driveway mud & bugs from living in the sticks.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Had the engine & battery light come on about a week ago. Came on home and started checking things out - low battery voltage code; alternator output was good, stator wasn't grounded, and voltage regulator output was good, so I charged the battery up and rode to work the next day. Got about 35 miles from the house & the idjit lights came on again. Low battery code again. Hmm, rode home after work & lights stayed off until about 35 miles again. Checked codes - same-o, same-o. Figured the battery was bad, but I didn't charge it & load test it. Slapped a new battery in, rode (yep, 35 miles) and lights again! Off to the dealer we go. Picked it up this evening with a new stator installed, courtesy of HD's new bike warranty. 18,000 miles.

Interesting sidebit- Service writer asked if I'd just changed the oil. Told him that it had been about 2600 miles. He said he could smell hot oil, but I have no leaks, don't have any in the air filter, and don't burn it. After they tore the primary apart it seems the smell was from the fried stator and primary/tranny oil.

They cleaned the bike up, too. Nice, 'cause it was covered in driveway mud & bugs from living in the sticks.
I've been though the same thing. Only question I have is were you doing all the test with no load? That will often produce unreliable results.

And yep, one of the first things I do when checking a charging problem is pop the primary chain inspection cover and take a whiff of the oil. There's no mistaking the rank, nasty smell from a burnt stator.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,218 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
I've been though the same thing. Only question I have is were you doing all the test with no load? That will often produce unreliable results.

And yep, one of the first things I do when checking a charging problem is pop the primary chain inspection cover and take a whiff of the oil. There's no mistaking the rank, nasty smell from a burnt stator.
Yeah, most of the testing was done with no load; can't find my old DC ammeter from my gennie-Sporty days. Once during the quickie V/R test I lost DC from the reg, but thought it was me losing connection with the meter leads. Now I think it may have been the stator shorting. Think it was an intermittent problem until it finally decided to melt into a blob.

I have trouble with the schnozzola; too many years of catching whiffs of sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and sodium hydroxide. Service writer could smell "something" when we were discussing what I'd found, but I couldn't even smell the tender young woofie standing next to me.