Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I just be a Sportster guy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Boweman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went in to buy a crossbones for the springer old school look. Me being a smaller man and not a chrome fan, I was quickly drawn to the rocker in black and pewter. The local hd dealer had a large assortment of sportsters in stock and I could not stop looking back and forth at them. After sitting on all of the bikes, I just felt so much more comfortable on the sportster. As far as riding 2 up, I had no desire to have more than one person on when I went bike hunting. I just bought the wife her own! We are now proud owners of two sporsters and dont really plan on trading up anytime soon. Plus, now that I am making changes on mine, I still have the wifes to ride... of course riding hers comes with a price... The last time I rode it costed me a set of V-n-H short shots....

Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe you should just add to the herd!!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could be a Sportster guy—I am. I've got my '05 set up for long distance (Iron City highway pegs, Progressive suspension, QD windshield with Laminar Lip extensions, crash bars with soft lowers, Sundowner seat, etc.). In the engine department, it's a 1200 conversion (SE kit w/10:1 pistons, SE ignition module, SE IIs). The primary and belt sprockets are 1200 versions. On long trips, I put my travel bag on the back seat, which provides a nice backrest. Oh, and it also gets nearly 60 mpg on long highway rides.

Over the years I've done demo rides on, or rented, touring bikes, Softails, and Dynas, all of which were nice, but I like the lighter weight and handling of my Sporty. Bottom line, ride what you like and like what you ride, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
rlggray
Tourer

I'm a sportster guy and proud of it. Had mine for 2 yrs now and would not even think about "trading up". I'm gonna ride it till the wheels fall off. It has plenty of power for the highway, ride it to work (160 miles round trip ) and their is not a better bike to ride around town. My old lady don"t ride with me much, but when she does it's plenty adequate, I just throw on my 2 up seat and away we go.

Attached Thumbnails Could I just be a Sportster guy?-dsc00151.jpg   Could I just be a Sportster guy?-dsc00152.jpg   Could I just be a Sportster guy?-dsc00008.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

Me and my new bride of five months ride all the time together on my 1200L, but honestly, we haven't ridden much more than 100 miles on a daytrip. I'm 5'3 and 150 lbs. and she's only 4'9 and 95 lbs. soaking wet. Obviously we have plenty of room! Solo, I've been to seven states in 11 days, from 105 degrees at 300 ft. above sea level, to the 30's at 12,000 feet above sea level. The bike did very well. 11" Progressives on the back. I bottom out frame two up over speed bumps, but the highway ride is good. Sportsters are just nimble, quick and get good mileage. IMO, it's one of the most practical bikes available on the market. Relatively lightweight, nimble, quick, good mileage, fuel injection, tubeless tires (on the Low), 4.5 gallon tank with a near 200 mile range, and a plethora of accessories to let it do whatever you want it to. Yeah, I like Sporties, especially the 1200 Low.

Teek

Old 01-17-2015, 06:18 AM
hdmotorc
Novice

Originally Posted by Metolius
Can't be an outlaw when you're riding the same giant couch the fuzz are putting around on. I don't know about you guys but when I was a kid and thought Harley's are cool I wasn't picturing a Glide or softy in full dress. It was a loud as hell sporty. Still that way sure the big high dollar bikes are sweet but they're not for me. I like old Nortons and BSAs, Triumphs and home made bobbers I like cut down simple bikes and as far as I'm concerned my Iron is the most beautiful thing on two wheels. So I too am a sportster guy. Cool thing about being one is you'll always have someone to ride with because you're not a snob about what your buddies ride.
I couldn't agree more.
First bike was a iron head then I got a Deuce, then a Ultra Classic. I'm back to my roots. 2014 forty eight. Been hacking parts off since I got it.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:11 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

You have good taste in bikes with the Sportster Low XL1200L. Here is my 2011 sportster low.

Don't think you will regret getting any Harley, but ride what you feel comfortable riding. When I first started riding, my instructor said get a big harley since you will want a bigger bike if you go with a Sportster. Obviously, I didn't listen to him....and haven't regretted my decision. Its fast, fun, and maneuverable...unless you want a cruiser. Nothing wrong with being a "Sportster Guy"

Edit: Didn't realize this was an old post until now.

Last edited by hscic; 01-18-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:24 PM
tree88
Road Captain

I went in to buy a nightster, and ended up with my dyna. When I decided to buy another bike, it was either going to be a flh or a sportster. Spent a lot of time debating that one, and decided to go with the sportster- because regardless of what I would want to do with it, the parts pretty much already exist. Since purchasing mine, I have maybe put 10000 miles on the dyna, while the sportster has racked up nearly 30k. I don't think there is another motorcycle currently in production that is as adaptable, or able to tackle as many different riding conditions as a sportster. Mine is currently the functional equivalent of a road glide, but weighs 200+ pounds less, has more ground clearance, and is far more comfortable for me (6'8") with the mid controls.

So back to the subject, NO- there is nothing wrong with being the sportster guy.

The comment I hear the most from big twin guys when they ask what I ride is "I used to have a sportster, man I wish I never sold/traded it".

Old 11-08-2021, 06:35 PM
Johnorth9
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This old ironhead is my first bike.. I have rode others.. and love them all... but this crazy " B$$$$" I am in love it.. Quick, nimble and loud as hell.. This thing turns heads everywhere I go..

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnorth9:
JayStronghawk (12-18-2021), Richris1 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 02:08 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

Just to put things into perspective . The original , full dress Electraglide had a 1200cc engine .

Quick Reply: Could I just be a Sportster guy?