Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

superbrace & big thanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default superbrace & big thanks

Hi guys,

I was thinking about buying (when will my purchases ever stop?) a superbrace for my '09 Sportster Iron and was just wondering if anyone has fitted them. Do I need to lift the bike off the ground to fit it or can I simply just bolt it on? I ride with mainly sports bike guys and need to keep up on those twisties (yes, I do understand it's a Sportie not a GSXR) with a bit more confindence.

Oh, and a big thanks to everyone I spoke to about installing the RK shocks, did it this weekend and it's a huge improvement!!! Even the missus mentioned it was more comfatable!

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 PM
traylestrat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey dog, I have a superbrace and am waiting to instal it as well. Item #3 on the instructions states to 'Loosen the axle caps or pinch bolts to allow the forks to relax'. I recall reading that folks have installed the sb without taking tension off of the forks, but I can't quote that. I would have already installed the brace but am waiting for more info, or a getting a hold of a smaller jack to lift the front wheel off of the ground, which I believe will do the job. I'm not in for loosening anything up.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Dragan
Tourer

you can install it without loosening the pinch bolts; it will appear too small when you do it though. It snugs up fine, but if you unload the front end with a jack, or loosen the pinch bolts. it slides right into place. Makes you realize how much flex there actually is on a sporty. BTW, it is the single best handling improvement I've made, no question. Really dials in the handling, better cross-wind control, etc.

Last edited by Dragan; 02-22-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
dubll_r
Advanced

Hey guys,I too installed it on my 09 iron.Wasnt to sur either when installed it whether to put on lift.So when in doubt I called tech line..didnt need to be put on lift.Just keep wheel pointed straight and they did say to loosen the pinch bolt.It was a snap,took all of 10 minutes.I have to agree w/Dragan..hands down def big improvement on front end handling.Handles great at 70mph plus,before I felt like front was starting to lift didnt feel planted.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
m3apx
Cruiser

I didn't need to loosen the pinch bolts on my '08 Nightster. The Superbrace just bolted right on. It does make help improve handling.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer

Ok guys, thanks for that, I'm not sure I'm keen on loosening the pinch bolts though!!! I live in the UK so I will be buying one when I can afford the postage!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:53 AM
marker
Intermediate
Question Brace good for tarlines/road ripples?

Hey all

Just joined you from over here in springtime UK (=cold, windy, but dry!)

Got my 09 Nightster last August - changed front springs for progressives (ex! - stops her bottoming on every UK pothole) and fitted Avon Venoms for grip. But, our roads are FULL of tarlines and wear grooves and she always feels skittish, like she's being kicked left and right a bit. Unsettling!! So, would a brace help?

And, are there any around for sane $$$??

Thanks in advance

Ciao
marker

Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer

Hi Marker,

I don't know of any fork braces other than the Superbrace and the Harley one (which is chrome). Both about the same price I think, Maybe buy the Harley one and paint it?

What size tyres did you go for?

Welcome from another UK Harley rider! The pot holes suck!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
NI-STER
Cruiser

Originally Posted by marker
Hey all

Just joined you from over here in springtime UK (=cold, windy, but dry!)

Got my 09 Nightster last August - changed front springs for progressives (ex! - stops her bottoming on every UK pothole) and fitted Avon Venoms for grip. But, our roads are FULL of tarlines and wear grooves and she always feels skittish, like she's being kicked left and right a bit. Unsettling!! So, would a brace help?

And, are there any around for sane $$$??

Thanks in advance

Ciao
marker
IMO This is where the SB shines. The roads are crappy where I live too.(Canada.freeze....thaw...freeze....thaw) Makes the N much more stable! Now I only have to watch out for the big stuff. Expensive...yes. Worth it? You bet!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 AM
marker
Intermediate

Hi hungover

Standard stuff - Front 100/90-19 57H , Rear 150/80B16 77H. Good rubber - felt really secure first time I took 'em out before Christmas but the ice and snow seems to have knocked 7 bells out of the road surfacing since and while the rubber still feels grippy, the front feels like it's always being nudged sideways by the road ripples - that's why I'm considering a brace. I can afford either the brace or a pair of Hagon shox for now - which do you reckon will make the ride feel more planted?

Where are you in Blighty then?

Quick Reply: superbrace & big thanks