Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new air cleaner. no instructions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 PM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new air cleaner. no instructions

I need some help from the forum. I ordered a 6" round air cleaner kit from V Twin manufacturing. It's kit # 34-0803. It's the kind that has a wire mesh inner with a foam rubber filter surrounded by another wire mesh screen. The kit came with no instruction as to how it is assembled on the bike. Does anyone have this air cleaner and have instructions on how to put it together? repeated calls to the company yielded nothing. The I got your money now F off thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Good luck on this but the only way can try to help you is take the stock AC off and try to compare them both up, somewhere the mounting should look similiar..

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,506 Likes on 3,335 Posts

take pictures as you are taking the old one off and compare....Can't be that hard....if you are not comfortable sell it on Ebay and start over.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the correct filter for your bike, it should be quite easy to install. You didn't give an details as to what bike you may have, but on a newer Sportster there is only 1 allen bolt that takes the cover off, and then 2 (maybe 3??) more that holds the air cleaner backing plate on. So, it's a total of 3 bolts, should be very simple and easy to see, if it is a newer bike at least. Although I doubt if the older models are much different.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:29 AM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bike I have is a 2005 1200C. The filter is different from the stock model. The element is assembled with two wire mesh screens with the foam element between. This is held inside a round chrome "box". If you look at frantic custom cycles they have a kit that says easy to install round air cleaner 91-2010 sportsters. I understand how the stock filter works but this one has banjo bolts and a rubber hose with a separate filter element that I dont know where it goes.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Email or call them and see if they'll fax, or email you instructions. In fact I believe they are sponsors on these boards, message them!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Cleaner

I installed this same air cleaner on my bike.....I found the instructions online, but can't recal where. I can walk you through it if you like....

1. Remove the stock air cleaner
2. Mount the support bracket to the carb body place a gasket between
3. Mount the breather bolts into into the engine with the hollow circular mounts on them. (Make sure to use blue loctite as these suckers will wiggle lose)
4. Mount the back of the air filter to the mounting bracket use the other gasket
5. put the shorter piece of mesh inside the foam and the longer piece on the outside and slide it into the back of the air filter
6. seat the front of the air filter on top of the foam and make sure it seats down in there well.
7. attach the front of the airfilter
8. cut the hose into two 8" pieces
9. using the hose clamps attach each piece to the circular mounts on the engine
10. attach the other ends into the breather that came with the kit. (It will form a loop with the filter at the bottom.

There is a picture of it finished on my user page if you want to take a look.

Let me know if you have any questions or get stuck and I will give you a hand.

Kirk

Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser
Default The link to instructions

http://www.dragspecialties.com/pdfs/DS-289044.pdf

Here is the link to the instructions......it is for Drag Specialties version of the same kit.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 AM
glennt7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your probably going to have to order the carb support bracket. I think I got the same one you have also from V-twin and it did not come with the bracket and you won't be able to mount it. By the way the bracket was like twice the price of the filter assembly.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser
Default Air Cleaner

Really that's strange....my kit from Vtwin came with the mounting bracket.

Quick Reply: new air cleaner. no instructions