Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM upgrade or not- so confused??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1loud96
Hello all- I have a 2008 Sportster that I have installed Samson Street Sweeper pipes and a HD Heavy Breather air cleaner on and need ECM advice please.

The air cleaner instructions read "ECM calibration required" BUT I contacted my local HD dealer and the Service Manager told me: "the Harley download is for Harley style slip-on mufflers with stock head pipe and Screaming-Eagle high flow air cleaner. I will install the download on your bike if thats what you want. With the experience I have had with aftermarket exhaust and the download sometimes are not the best match".

So then I contacted Samson and was told: "We would recommend that you change the settings of the EFI as per the instructions with your air cleaner. They would know best what is needed with their product and we would suggest following it in order to get the full
advantage of the product. And since you are installing our free flowing
exhaust system it makes sense to change the settings".

I've searched this forum and there seems to be many different opinions on ECM calibration ranging from Sportster ECM's are not programmable at all to calibration change is not even required because the ECM and oxygen sensor will automatically adjust for the modifications.

The bike seems to run just fine but I'm concerned about causing damage or missing out on some peformance gains.

Can anybody help set me straight and tell me what I should do?

thanks
the screaming eagle download has always been a good choice. there are also many very good aftermarket modules and some are not so good. if you want a new module the good people here on HD Forums will have good recommendations.
thank you,
JR

Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I use the Fuel Pak from V&H. Works great at a fraction of the cost.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 AM
1loud96
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought of another question- I'm the Service Controller for a GM dealership and our cars are "protected" from engine damage by the ECM if there are problems. It will display all kinds of warning messages and if necessary it put the vehicle in "limp home mode" to save itself from major damage.

My question is does a Harley ECM have any similar protection built in to it? Will it set a check engine light or diagnostic code if the engine is running too lean?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, these are very basic FI setups. It has a base map it reads off and is able to alter the fuel supply a very small amout to compensate for the reads from the O2 sensors. All the download does is add more fuel to this base map.