Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride difference 1200N vs 1200C

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, but I think the seats are different at least, the low has a VERY thin seat.
Both bikes have 11.6 inch long shocks, the same frame I assume, so I dont know why they call it a low.

The 1200 r (roadster) had 13 inch shocks....

I somewhat disagree about suspension quality, many hard core sports cars and bikes are likely set up stiffer and with shorter travel then what might be best for the typical road, a bike or car that works best on the track (very smooth?) might not be best for the typical road with its roughness.

What works best on the track would likely be bone jaring and have the car or bike jumping all around in rough turns on normal roads.

I see this a lot with cars that are set up with lowered suspension and low profile tires on huge rims, they cant go over speed bumps, driveways, etc except at very slow speeds.
Great on the track, but in the real world, much slower or something breaks.

I know on my bike, with the stock suspension, I could do very little in the way of sport, on most turns, I could go much faster in a buick or an suv.
The bike could not lean, or take even small bumps without the suspension crashing HARD.
With the changes I made, I can go at least twice as fast in much greater comfort.

Brett

Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

They have the same seats.

And yes, stock your bike won't handle like a sportbike, cuz it's not one. Even though they are named "Sportsters" they aren't designed as road racers. And, stock, Sportys have horrible suspension.

You're correct about the ride of true sportscars and racecars. But that's the difference between "good" and "smooth." Or maybe it's the difference between what you consider good and what I consider good. Having been a roadracer and having had streetcars with race suspension I know that if I want to knife around corners at ease I'm gonna give up ride comfort. And I hate to tell you, very few race tracks are "smooth", not even NASCAR roundy-rounds. Spend some time watching in car camera shots from the 24-hours of Daytona or 12 hours of Sebring. Those guys are getting beat up.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my experience....the stiffer the suspension the better the handleing to a certain extent. a soft and cushy ride isnt gonna help much as far as handling goes.

thats why you dont see lincolns and cadillacs used as race cars. if youve ever ridden a sport bike...or ridden in a ferrari or something comparable, even a camaro or mustang...you can tell that they are much stiffer and somewhat uncomfortable.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buuuwhahahaha

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
IMO if you want a smooth ride, buy a couch, or a Gold Wing. lol.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock seat on a XL1200L Low is NOT the same seat as the stock seat on a XL1200C Custom. The stock XL1200C Custom seat has quite a bit more padding than the stock XL1200L Low has but neither stock seat has the padding that a touring seat has. I had the HD dealer exchange the stock seat from a XL1200C Custom for the stock seat off of the XL1200L Low that I wanted to buy just to seal the deal so to speak and it is much more comfortable that the stock XL1200 L Low seat was. For around town riding and less than 500 mile trips, I use the stock Custom seat, but for 500 + mile trips I put on a HD sundowner seat and my butt thanks me for it too! Just sayin…

Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

No problem XLCR, I was going by HD's website and seat height specs. Both the 1200C and the 1200L have the same seat height and ground clearance. So technically, the 1200 Low isn't that low. Funny thing is that the 883 Low has the same seat height and ground clearance as the Nightster/Iron. So it really is low.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, thats true! Isn't that just WEIRD how they do that? I really wanted a Sportster with the Chrome and Black finish on the engine and the only models that had it were on the XL1200C Custom and on the XL1200L Low. I liked the mag wheels on the Low a little better than what came on the Custom so I went with the Low instead. I wanted a Tachometer on my bike so I ended up using the handlebar mounts from a Roadster and the same gauge mount as from the Roadster. Hell, what I really wanted all along was a Roadster with a Chrome and Black finish on the engine and the 4.5 gallon tank on it but Harley doesn’t sell it that way. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU, HARLEY!!! I want it MY way not your way! It’s my money!!! GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!!!! Oh, I feel just a little better now. Just a little! Sorry for the rant. It's time for my nap now. HELLO NURSE!!!