Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What features to have on saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking bags. I had some Saddlemen bags that I got for about 100 bucks. They were the shock cut away ones. They had the hard plastic insides which got torn up a little bit from rubbing against the shocks. It would be nice to have lids that opened away from the bike like the hard bags on the touring models. Also, even if they opened to the front. I wouldn't need locking bags. If someone wants them enough, they'll rip them off the bike.

The only to bad things Ill say about how they look so far is that it seems like they are too far forward. I know that is probably so you dont need the rear directional relocation kit, but it seems like it could interfere with a passenger when riding 2 up. The second thing is that they seem like the stick out too far. Thats just my opinion.

Look forward to the finished product.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Prototype,,,ok,,so far they look like every other bag out there.

Features I would want,
Lockable lids,
Fit close to the bike.
Detachable,
mount posts that don't show on the bike,,,
simulated leather,,I hate taking care of leather..

so far all those wants are already out there,,

I guess you'd have to match quality and beat others prices.

I'll watch this thread with Interest XD

Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Osco. I agree that all the things you listed are already out there, but not without relocating the turn signals. Also, the typical easy bracket or edge bracket costs over $140 whereas this new bracket should be less than half that.

Hondo

Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate

As far as leg room goes for the passenger, this gal says she has plenty of room and has her feet on the pegs where she normaly rides. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Hondo

Old 05-27-2011, 05:50 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I think people want lids that open out so they can open the bag and reach in while sitting on the bike.
One criteria I have is to be able to put my heavy leather jacket in one. Smaller bags that don't require t-signal relocation and will clear the pipes aren't big enough.
I like those bags alot! They appear large while not requiring t/s relocation. I don't care about opening my bag while I'm sitting on my bike. A fender strut mount that's detachable would be sweet. That way, they don't look like butt with a solo saddle.
I like how the straps go over the top of the bags and are long enough so that items can be strapped to the top of the saddlebags. A bottle holder option would be nice.
I'm looking forward to them being offered for sale. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced

All the requests are great but the one thing that's the toughest to find are saddlebags that don't resemble a purse sitting on the table of a bingo hall.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by hondofiero
Thanks for the feedback Osco. I agree that all the things you listed are already out there, but not without relocating the turn signals. Also, the typical easy bracket or edge bracket costs over $140 whereas this new bracket should be less than half that.
Hondo
Now were talkin XD
You build a bracket that looks good without bags, I can find several
bags to suit me that don't need the signals moved,,cause I only
ride solo..

A $75 bracket,,that stays on the bags,,only the posts on the bike...
I'll be yer first damn customer XD

Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM
seamonkey
Advanced

I think those look great, I'm in for a group buy. I've been trying to find bags that don't require the lights relocated cause I just like where they are now. I like the idea of extra strap length so you can put more gear on top of the bag, an extra pouch for small items or water container on the outside. One small extra would be that if the hardware that stays on the bike come in chrome or black. (black for us 48 owners) Great Job, can't wait to see the final product.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by wanabe; 05-27-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for me its a combo of fit, function and looks...
so i want big bags that come off easily and look great. the bags have handles so they become suitcases when off the bike.
ez brackets do the function and take care of part of the looks. large bags do the rest.
on the bike are my large bags- next to it are smaller ones:

i did have to move the turn signals to fit the bags, but that was what i had to do to get the big bags. i like the look, especially with the lay down plate- but i do also understand those who like the turn signals on the side of the bike instead of the back. your bags look like a great option for those who dont want to move the turn signals.

Last edited by wanabe; 05-27-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: What features to have on saddlebags?