Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy Silencer grips

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM
tandt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy Silencer grips

I bought Silencer collection grips last year to match my pegs. The metal part actually detached from the black plastic layer on the left grip a while ago. It appeared to be only glued on (!!!) so I glued it and it seems to be holding OK.

Then I thought that my ignition was failing because my throttle response was in the toilet. Now, on the right grip, the same thing has happened but the metal part isn't coming off, but it is free to spin. It might be locked in a groove somehow. The black layer is attached to the throttle OK. There's no way to glue the pieces.

Anyone have a suggestion? I think this is ridiculous for grips that cost $120.00.

Thanks friends..

Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM
BreezyKollins
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say find the guy at harley hq who thought it would be a good idea to pay a chinaman a dollar a day to build parts that cost 50 cents to make and mark them up to $120 and take those grips and shove them up his @$$ sideways........ sorry for the rant......

Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BreezyKollins
i say find the guy at harley hq who thought it would be a good idea to pay a chinaman a dollar a day to build parts that cost 50 cents to make and mark them up to $120 and take those grips and shove them up his @$$ sideways........ sorry for the rant......
^ Not as violent as what I was going to suggest, but probably more of an acceptable risk.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM
FlatIron
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that sucks! I really wanted to get these grips to match my pegs.... Has anyone else had this problem with these grips?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Blaven48
Road Captain

I bought $20 vintage grips from licks and those suckers work perfect. And somehow they are still white and not black lol.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
tandt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BreezyKollins
Yeah that occurred to me as a first step. lol

It is ridiculous. Like HD can't design a grip that doesn't fall off the goddamn handlebar? Come on....

Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 AM
tandt
Cruiser

Has anyone complained about an HD part and gotten any response or action?

Who did you did complain to?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 AM
cockerhamsg
Cruiser

Its bad when you can pay a third the price for basically the same product without HD stamped all over it, and yet it is a FAR better product. HD really pisses me off, to put it lightly.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM
tandt
Cruiser

Well, the solution is dripping epoxy glue into one row of holes, then spinning the aluminum sleeve to spread the glue. Seems to be holding.

I spent 1/2 hour on the "Customer Care" line, and told my story twice, only to be told I needed to call Deeley HD because I'm Canadian. Yes, I said, I am Canadian, but you guys made the grips, not Trev Deeley, and I am lucky the grip didn't come apart on the freeway causing my death. Doesn't matter, they say. Call Deeley. We don't deal with Canadian problems.

Not impressed. I wasn't expecting a brass band but how about just documenting the f*cking problem since I took the time to let you know about your defective product, long distance, on my dime. HD had a good opportunity to make things right (and nudge me toward buying that RoadKing) but didn't happen. Maybe next time.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Ketron10a
Advanced

Ok....I came home after letting my bike sit in the 100 degree heat for a week and found my throttle to be sticking. I went to shift and the throttle didnt snap back like it should have and the engine revved way up. I was like wtf? I remember this post so I wanted to re-read it. TandT...is that how it started for you? Alittle bit of stuck throttle? The bike is rideable...but I have to force the throttle closed instead of it snapping back via spring...

Quick Reply: Crappy Silencer grips