Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To drill out baffles, or not to drill out baffles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
doobs48
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To drill out baffles, or not to drill out baffles

Ok... so I currently have a stock 48 and would really like to make it louder, cheaply until I can save up some coin for new pipes, intake and tuner. I've read a bunch of forums about drilling out the baffles. Some say it's OK to do, others say it is bad to do.

I would really like a definitive answer on this from someone who knows about the mechanics of what this will do to back pressure, performance, etc. I read the info here: http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html , which was informative but I still would like to know what would be effected by drilling out the baffles on the stock exhaust.

I know this topic has probably been discussed MANY times but it seems that there really is no black & white answer. All I do know is that the stock exhaust with the baffles is ridiculously quiet. Almost embarrassing to say it's a Harley! LOL

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer! Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a second set of stockers on ebay and used them in case I didn't like the sound, and you may not.

I took them and removed the baffle plug in the center of the baffle, them removed baffles completely, double the size of the holes in it and added three more rows of holes to the aft end. Then welded them back in and I like the sound ok for now, til I find the two into one that I want.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Sportster Spence
Tourer

I love the sound of the drilled baffles on my 48, sounds like a Harley without being overly offensive to my neighbors!

I simply drilled a 3/4" hole in the baffle plate of each muffler, and it sounds great!

I fitted X14iED's as a precautionary measure and I have to say my bike runs and sounds like a dream.

A friend of mine has V&H Short Shots with quiet baffles on his 48 and for me they're too loud, I'd have a headache after 100 miles!

Go for it, stock mufflers are easy to pick up on Ebay if you need another pair for any reason

Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with it. I would start out at 1/4" and move up to your preferred level. If I remember 1/4" is around Screaming Eagle level. You can always drill bigger, but you can not replace what you have already taken out.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM
gfburke
Tourer

ya check my sig link. worth it. even if you didn't like it.. buy shorties afterwords

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally have heard a lot of drilled and gutted stock mufflers and IMHO, they rarely ever sound as good as a cheap slip on.

I mean....go ahead and give it a try, but I think you may end up buying slip ons anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM
emilio gonzalez
Intermediate

i did it to my stock ones and it made them sound much better and increased performace, but now i have short shots that are much better

Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you should just wear a pair of clown shoes when you ride. you'll accomplish the same thing without having to worry about getting ticketed.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Doobs I sent you a private message...

Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM
doobs48
Tourer
Default ???

I guess I don't understand how clown shoes would make my bike louder.

Originally Posted by Certainteed
you should just wear a pair of clown shoes when you ride. you'll accomplish the same thing without having to worry about getting ticketed.

Quick Reply: To drill out baffles, or not to drill out baffles