Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike was dropped, have a question now.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bike was dropped, have a question now.

so i let a friend sit on my bike do see if he liked sitting on a sportster and when he pushed the kickstand down to get off the bike did a slow fall. i guess i should have told him to make sure the stand was locked out because its spring loaded, so i'll take the fault on that.

the only damage to the bike is a little paint was scratched off of the peg mount and the peg has a nick in the metal, thats all! i absolutely lucked out on it. now my question is this, the bike was running when it went over. once it fell the bike killed itself which i'm guessing is a safety feature built in but could there be any damage to the internals of the motor? anything that i should look for?

the bike is a 2010 iron 883.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:58 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Bike is supposed to kill itself as you said safety, remember the old days before they had it and was pretty scary dropping one and still had the throttle open in gear .. Just crank it back up and enjoy the ride .. Could go into all the reasons why and how it does this but if truly interested it can all be looked up ..

Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless it laid there for a long time, and oil poured out or into places that it was not supposed to, it is just fine.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennB.
so i let a friend sit on my bike do see if he liked sitting on a sportster and when he pushed the kickstand down to get off the bike did a slow fall. i guess i should have told him to make sure the stand was locked out because its spring loaded, so i'll take the fault on that.

the only damage to the bike is a little paint was scratched off of the peg mount and the peg has a nick in the metal, thats all! i absolutely lucked out on it. now my question is this, the bike was running when it went over. once it fell the bike killed itself which i'm guessing is a safety feature built in but could there be any damage to the internals of the motor? anything that i should look for?

the bike is a 2010 iron 883.
Next time you let someone sit on your bike (if there is a next time) kill the engine. What if he accidentally kicked it into gear? That could happen without using the clutch. That could have been ugly.

Last edited by Ron750; 10-24-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The engine will be fine, dont over think this crap, start it, ride it.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 AM
skatkat80
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least no one was hurt. Parts are replaceable, people are not.
Enjoy your bike !

Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 AM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i agree on all accounts, the guy is a motorcycle owner as well, it was just lack of attention on both our parts. gotta hate those freak accidents.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ron750
Next time you let someone sit on your bike (if there is a next time) kill the engine. What if he accidentally kicked it into gear? That could happen without using the clutch. That could have been ugly.
Hey, remember when there wasn't this auto kill stuff? Myself, I don't need a babysitter, I remember where the kill switch is! and I use it.

Ive tipped mine while at a light, in gear & clutched, the first thing to do (auto response kicks in) is flip the switch & yank it back up!

Glad to hear everyone including the insurance is fine, tell your friends they want to sit -- go to the dealer, all's well that ends well.

PS: If you slam it into something & it won't kick over, then you need to look at it, it is made of good old steel & will take a beating just listen to how many belts some guys go through.

Regards.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:03 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennB.
so i let a friend sit on my bike do see if he liked sitting on a sportster

Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
LOL

Quick Reply: bike was dropped, have a question now.