Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my dealer full of ****?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked into going to the states to have the work done and yes, it was a lot cheaper. The only thing that held me back from doing it was this little canada customs thing. When you come back over the border, if by chance the customs guard finds out you altered the bike substantially (like a new motor ac and pipes, yes, it is unlikely but if he does find out) you have to pay taxes on the total value of the bike including the new work value. In my case this would have been about $1500 so I said screw it, I'm not taking the risk.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schwingding
Why not start with finding out what the local noise ordinance laws actually are with regards to motorcycle exhaust. Just start with google and go deeper if necessary. Then - take that info to your dealer and ask them how they KNOW that only SE pipes are legal. $100 says they won't be able to tell you how they know, they've just all heard it somewhere before and are repeating it. Unless they can show actual test results of each pipe on each bike, they're full of it and you shouldn't listen to them. The dealer gets paid by behaving, and selling you HD stuff, thus the SE recommendation. The SE pipes are safe, and they know it, so why would they go out on a limb otherwise for you? Only for a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY.

I doubt that the local cops have a SPL meter (decibel meter) on them with which to test your bike's exhaust, and any ticket they write will be subjective and unlikely to hold up in court. Still - even with published regs in my home state, the cops don't really care at all about cruisers, and only give sportbike guys a hard time. I've never seen, nor even ever even heard of a cruiser getting a hard time for anything around here, but I see sportbikes pulled over all the time.
Mine looked for a tag. Perhaps it is an EPA tag they are talking about like the one mentioned HERE.

Excerpt

Motorcycles will be required to display a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) label certifying that the exhaust system is clean burning and does not exceed 80 decibels.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you do like one poster suggested and just ride it. You might be happy with it with the 883 and a stage 1. As another poster said do the pipes yourself and save some money. Just my two cents.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

any exhaust but oem is illegal on any vehicle.. it is printed rite on the muffler. they cant refuse to put it on though. you may have to get your own exhaust and have it installed.. i cant say much on the prices.. i have never had a bike worked on at a shop. sounds like a lot of money. all they do is bore the cylinders(probably bolt on new ones) and use larger pistons.. a dyno tune and tuner is $1k here,i heard everything up htere is a lot more..it adds up fast

Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, I have had two friends up here in Victoria that have had to go for decibal testing. One rode a Harley and the other a triumph. Yes, their bikes were very loud. The RCMP wrote them both tickets and they had one week to get decibal tested with new pipes and bring the results saying they were legal into the cop shop or else pay the hefty fine and have their bikes taken off the road. Sucks, but it does happen. This was several years ago.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

B.C. has tougher noise laws than Alberta does. When we went to the Salmon Arm rally last summer, I was a bit concerned with my Short Shots, I put Quiet Baffles in before the trip. (I've since torn those loud buggers off) My son in law was real worried about the exhaust on his VRod. Thing sounds like shotguns going off - his buddies require he always ride at the back of the pack, lol. Turned out he couldn't make the trip after all. But I'd heard they somehow relaxed the law for the rally.

In Calgary, the bylaw is so many dBL as you're cruising. In Edmonton, it's so many dBL measured (parked) from something like 10 ft away at something like 3000 RPM. Yes, the cops have dBL meters.

The OP is going to have to find out what the local restrictions are, and decide whether he wants to risk running over it.

Last edited by dwagar; 03-20-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
any exhaust but oem is illegal on any vehicle.. it is printed rite on the muffler. they cant refuse to put it on though. you may have to get your own exhaust and have it installed.. i cant say much on the prices.. i have never had a bike worked on at a shop. sounds like a lot of money. all they do is bore the cylinders(probably bolt on new ones) and use larger pistons.. a dyno tune and tuner is $1k here,i heard everything up htere is a lot more..it adds up fast
If it's a SE 1200 upgrade they put on new cylinders, pistons, and heads.

To the OP, you could have that done down in the states. Don't think a boarder gaurd would be able to tell that the engine has had work done on it unless he could check the bore of the internals. IIRC, the SE 1200 kit isn't going to look much different than what you have on there now.