Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 to 1200 conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 883 to 1200 conversion question

I have talked to a couple of HD dealers up here in Canada requesting quotes for the 1200 conversion. One dealer tells me that on top of the conversion kits and labour to install I will need a power commander module and 3 hours of tuning (cost of about $1000 canadian) unless I use the SE slip ons, in which case I will not need the PC module and extra tuning. Another dealer tells me that regardless of the pipes I use I will need the extra tuning.

Also, one dealer says 10 hours to install and another dealer says 7 hours to install.

I would expect the HD dealers to be quoting me the same parts and labour but this is not the case.

Any information from people that have done this or know about it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

There are two basic ways of doing that conversion, one is to replace only the cylinders and pistons and use your current heads, the other is to fit 1200 Sportster cylinders pistons and heads. If you chose the first of those the pistons are specials, not stock 1200cc Sportster pistons. It will be much cheaper to go the first route.

There is lots of useful stuff in this thread. Worth reading up a bit more before you make a move on this one. Otherwise your Harley dealers will take you down the most expensive route, as well as charge a lot on labour. Do you have a local indy you can try?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
I have talked to a couple of HD dealers up here in Canada requesting quotes for the 1200 conversion. One dealer tells me that on top of the conversion kits and labour to install I will need a power commander module and 3 hours of tuning (cost of about $1000 canadian) unless I use the SE slip ons, in which case I will not need the PC module and extra tuning. Another dealer tells me that regardless of the pipes I use I will need the extra tuning.

Also, one dealer says 10 hours to install and another dealer says 7 hours to install.

I would expect the HD dealers to be quoting me the same parts and labour but this is not the case.

Any information from people that have done this or know about it would be appreciated. Thanks.
I went through this with my dealer a few months ago. I went with the SE 1200 kit, but bought it through Zanotti's as it was $300 cheaper. I don't think you can go that route with the new policies that they MOCO has set.

I also bypassed the power commanders and opted for the SE super tuner. This was more preference, but I felt that all the software and equipment the dealer had was more adapt to handle the super tuner.

3 hours tuning is standard and is found across the board. It allows them to properly dial in the ECM and work out any flat spots in your tune. Who ever told you that you wouldn't need a tune after upgrading to 1200cc is full of BS. You won't be able to run directly off of a 883 configuration after changing out jugs/pistons (and heads with my kit).

I was quoted about 8 hours for the install, but I think that is what the shop book states. I'd take it to the dealer you trust most with the work, if they can do it in 7 and you feel that they will back up their work, then cool go with them.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have time to read the thread link above, I will later on, but I called down to a shop in the States near the Canadian border and the price quoted by them was substantially cheaper then the Canadian price.
I was quoted SE 1200 conversion kit including heads and SE Air filter, SE black shorty slip ons, SE black Buckshot heat shields, complete installation and tuning and the price with pipes was about $1700 cheaper than what a Canadian shop wants for the same thing.
The ferry that gets me near the US shop will be about $100 return.