Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi there, new member. 2005 Sporty 1200 Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 AM
MickA
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi there, new member. 2005 Sporty 1200 Roadster

Hi there, my name is Mick, and Im new to the forums.

I just picked up my second harley sportster from a private dealer. It is riding well after its tuneup, however the shop was unable to assess a knocking issue im having with the front end.

Basically when I'm riding the brake caliper on the front end continuously knocks; the only time it stops knocking is when I apply the front brakes. when I look down to see where the noise is coming from, I can see the caliper repeatedly moving slightly inwards (towards the rotor) and outwards (away from the rotor), in a stable manner. I was very concerned about this and told the shop. They said that it is a floating caliper and there is nothing i can do about it. The noise is pretty loud and apparent. They didnt ride the bike, so Im not sure they were able to gauge what exactly is going on.

Im not used to the newer models, but is there some way to fix this, or is it a normal sound im just going to have to get used to?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 AM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a warped rotor. My 2006 Roadster does not have floating calipers. I would have another independent service shop check it out. You are going to love that Roadster!!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 AM
TheGarbon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I would do is put the bike on a lift and spin the front tire, place a straight edge on the fork as you spin and see is the space between the disk and fork changes. This will check the run out on the disk. I imagine you might need a new disk. Calipers in general don't move unless you apply pressure on the lever.

If it is not your disk and you calipers are not retracting I would suggest taking the caliper off the bike and pull it apart, check for corrosion , binding. Put it back together, install a stainless braided brake line and new fluid, bleed and ride. Not that hard to do.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by MickA
Hi there, my name is Mick, and Im new to the forums.

I just picked up my second harley sportster from a private dealer. It is riding well after its tuneup, however the shop was unable to assess a knocking issue im having with the front end.

Basically when I'm riding the brake caliper on the front end continuously knocks; the only time it stops knocking is when I apply the front brakes. when I look down to see where the noise is coming from, I can see the caliper repeatedly moving slightly inwards (towards the rotor) and outwards (away from the rotor), in a stable manner. I was very concerned about this and told the shop. They said that it is a floating caliper and there is nothing i can do about it. The noise is pretty loud and apparent. They didnt ride the bike, so Im not sure they were able to gauge what exactly is going on.

Im not used to the newer models, but is there some way to fix this, or is it a normal sound im just going to have to get used to?
If the bike's a Roadster it should have dual front brakes. Is it one or both that are moving in and out? It sounds like a warped rotor which is not uncommon on single disc bikes do to rotor overheating, but is less common on dual disc systems like found on the Roadster.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick7938
Sounds like a warped rotor. My 2006 Roadster does not have floating calipers. I would have another independent service shop check it out. You are going to love that Roadster!!
Unless you've replaced the stock calipers, they are floating calipers.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Unless you've replaced the stock calipers, they are floating calipers.
You are right. I was thinking rotors.