Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Blacked out look (fad or will it stick ?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Yup chrome is classic and will be around for ever. Looks amazing when clean..............and thats where I loose interest. Way too much like work.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Sensei Jim
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first hog was black (79 low rider) I think they both have a place in the hog world. You do see a lot of the black ones now( its just a clean in your face look). I dont know why everyone says you dont have to spend time cleaning them. I still have to clean and wipe every part of it. I just don't wax it. By the way I'm 54 so it's not just a young guys color. I do think that SOA tv show had a big part in the all black bikes being big with new hog riders.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can appreciate both blacked out and pimped out chrome. I like the look of the red giant flake of the 72s also. I don't really like the tassels look though.

Last edited by Clubber; 08-26-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM
aftica
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both looks, my current ride (softail, even more chrome added since pic taken, lol) is completely chrome daddy on two tone black. my second bike will be sportster based, black with just a few accent touches.

i think the sweet spot for the ''blacked out'' look is what Exile cycles does... can't see that ever becoming uncool!

Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Dafy
I don't mind flat black/dark grey, got used to it in my Ducati days with their "dark" models.

I think it really suits cleaned up bikes like the Exiles.

I'm going kinda the opposite route though, all metal, mostly sanded flat, with no paint and probably any detail work done with rusted steel, chrome, some brass etc.

Not exactly sure what exactly I'm doing, but that's what the winter is for

edit: flat metal, the new flat black lol:

Please excuse the WIP appearance
I think it looks good as is. I'd keep it that way for a while.

Trends come and go. As was already said, vivid black and chrome will stay forever. All others will fade in and out.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Be a trendsetter, make pink the new black.

John

Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Dafy
Tourer
Originally Posted by baka1969
I think it looks good as is. I'd keep it that way for a while.

Trends come and go. As was already said, vivid black and chrome will stay forever. All others will fade in and out.
Thanks man, appreciate it

My only plan right now is to sand the side overs, which I started yesterday, and I'm either going to go back to the stock rear rim so I can add, just on the rear, a Mooneyes hubcap, which I looooove. Or if I can save enough to do a chain conversion...yes I know thats a step backwards function-wise...I will get a 5.5 and go to a 180. I BELIEVE that will work with stock swing arm and struts still on.

Getting back to the OP, I have noticed that when cleaning some of the rust on some of my tools, it leaves a black pitting look. Maybe only chrome tools? I think if that black-metal could be controlled, once finished and eggshell cleared, it would look incredible. However chroming all my tins would be $$$

Definitely worth experimenting with some of the bits I've ground off.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 AM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The billet / chrome fad is gone for now, thankfully.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Dafy
Tourer

Do you mean the exile etc. look? Funny I really like that look. Metals in various state of shine and greys/blacks. I guess it's cuz I've been a black and white photographer for so many years, I like monochrome

Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Thorshammer
Tourer

I think both looks will and have been around. Recently sold my "Chrome *****" Deluxe and bought a Nightster. I just finished coating my slip ons and heat sheilds satin black and waing for them to dry. I'm 54 and don't realy think the blacked out look is just for all you youngins. LOL.

Quick Reply: The Blacked out look (fad or will it stick ?)