Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike runs, shifts thru gears - but doesn't move

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Plain and simple. BCS ... Blown Clutch Syndrome.

Dumping the clutch to do burn outs put a major load on the clutch.

I wouldn't think it's the discs, my thought is a broken clutch hub on the transmission input shaft.

The outside of the clutch will turn but the power will not transfer if the inner hub has been damaged and isn't transferring power to the transmission, UNDER POWER / LOAD.

When turning things by hand you may get all the proper action, but under load, with power it's just slips.

Be sure to post back with the solution!

Last edited by JohnnyC; 11-13-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 AM
CaptainCalf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Are the transmissions in the Sportsters pretty solid?
I think the 5 speed tranny is pretty bullet proof and if you need to inspect it you can pull it out as a single unit. I think there's around 5 bolts on the cover then pull the whole thing out.

Attached Thumbnails Bike runs, shifts thru gears - but doesn't move-04-05-12-motor-tear-down.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Well that’s OK then. He needs all the help he can get. (poke - poke couldn't find the smiles)

PS: USN 66-70

Keep us posted.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of the 8000 miles did your friend put on?

The simple fact of the matter is that there's no power getting to the rear wheel. We can exclude the engine (it runs), the primary and the drive belt.

That means it's either the clutch or the gearbox. Question: With the engine running in idle, have you tried changing gears, say from second to third, without disengaging the clutch? If you can do that without getting crunching noises, the problem is probably the clutch. If you do get crunching noises, the clutch is working and the problem is downstream in the drivetrain.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainCalf
I think the 5 speed tranny is pretty bullet proof and if you need to inspect it you can pull it out as a single unit. I think there's around 5 bolts on the cover then pull the whole thing out.
On the '03 and earlier XLs, you're spot on - '04 and later did away w/the trap door, gotta split cases to get at the transmission on those.

Either way - the transmissions themselves are usually VERY solid - the only issues that I'm aware of (aside from excessive wear) are shifter-forks bending. Ironhead XLs had a tendency to break the lower right corner of the case (where the countershaft is supported) when excessive power was put to it, but, the EVO XLs generally don't experience many transmission problems.

(this excludes clutches/shifter shaft issues)

Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 546 Posts

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the responses.

Originally Posted by hhkiwi
How many of the 8000 miles did your friend put on?

The simple fact of the matter is that there's no power getting to the rear wheel. We can exclude the engine (it runs), the primary and the drive belt.

That means it's either the clutch or the gearbox. Question: With the engine running in idle, have you tried changing gears, say from second to third, without disengaging the clutch? If you can do that without getting crunching noises, the problem is probably the clutch. If you do get crunching noises, the clutch is working and the problem is downstream in the drivetrain.
I'm not sure how many miles he has put on himself. I can't imagine more that 700-1000. Just a guess though.

He just dropped off the bike, so I was able to go verify.

When the bike is started and running, I can shift from neutral to first, first to second, second to third, on so on, without disengaging the clutch. No crunching noises at all, it actually sounds just like regular shifting.

FWIW, I recall him saying that he was not using the clutch during the burnout...shifting sport-bike style, if you will.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 11-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
When the bike is started and running, I can shift from neutral to first, first to second, second to third, on so on, without disengaging the clutch. No crunching noises at all, it actually sounds just like regular shifting.
That would point to the clutch being the problem. Pull it apart and see what you find.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,763 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I think you need to pull the primary cover off, pull the clutch pack, and see if your hub is attached to the mainshaft, may have stripped the hub splines. There's a nut inside there too that may have come loose.

John

Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 546 Posts

Update - I haven't had a chance yet to pull the primary cover off yet, but I did get the bike on the jack and pull the drain plug.

While it was draining, I noticed how burned up the fluid smelled. Hopefully tonight I can get the primary cover off.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You know you may be very lucky.

I believe there may be a shear pin, or sometimes called a key-way that's been damaged. You may have a loose nut that allow things to turn on the shaft and shear the clutch hub's keyway.

I may be wrong you may have a splined setup on your particular motor.

Quick Reply: Bike runs, shifts thru gears - but doesn't move