Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike runs, shifts thru gears - but doesn't move

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts
Default Bike runs, shifts thru gears - but doesn't move - SOLVED

Hey guys,

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to Sportsters.

I have a friend who has asked me to help him repair his bike.

The details:
2007 Sportster Nightster 1200

The bike starts without issue and runs well. While running, it can be shifted thru all 5 gears, and the bike does not move one inch.

What I have been able to rule out follows below. I wrench a lot on the Softails and Touring bikes, but Sportsters are still new. Any help is appreciated.

1. It's not the drive belt - I thought maybe that there were several teeth missing from the belt and that the stripped spot was on the pulley, not catching the splines. This is not the case.

2. It is not the clutch cable.

3. When looking thru the small inspection cover on the primary case, the primary chain is in tact, and appears to be free of damage.

4. Putting the bike in 5th gear, I had him roll the bike back and forth. It was not running, and the clutch lever was out. While doing this, the primary chain slack would take up while rolling backwards. Rolling forwards, the slack didn't take up. I know this is an issue.

5. I had him start the bike while observing the primary chain. It spins while the motor runs.

He was doing burnouts in his driveway and neither he nor his friend heard any strange noises.

I plan to start by pulling the primary cover off to observe what is going on. I don't have a Sportster Service Manual, but I told the owner to invest in one.

Does anyone have any advice or insight?

Maybe pictures of the inner primary exposed for reference?

Thanks.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 11-21-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Afrobaron
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First slap the owner for doing burnouts in his driveway.
Then tear down the primary like you said and I bet you find what is wrong right away. Somehow I bet you find metal flakes/shavings/pieces from one of the two pullies.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Hey guys,

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to Sportsters.

I have a friend who has asked me to help him repair his bike.

The details:
2007 Sportster Nightster 1200

The bike starts without issue and runs well. While running, it can be shifted thru all 5 gears, and the bike does not move one inch.

What I have been able to rule out follows below. I wrench a lot on the Softails and Touring bikes, but Sportsters are still new. Any help is appreciated.

1. It's not the drive belt - I thought maybe that there were several teeth missing from the belt and that the stripped spot was on the pulley, not catching the splines. This is not the case.

2. It is not the clutch cable.

3. When looking thru the small inspection cover on the primary case, the primary chain is in tact, and appears to be free of damage.

4. Putting the bike in 5th gear, I had him roll the bike back and forth. It was not running, and the clutch lever was out. While doing this, the primary chain slack would take up while rolling backwards. Rolling forwards, the slack didn't take up. I know this is an issue.

5. I had him start the bike while observing the primary chain. It spins while the motor runs.

He was doing burnouts in his driveway and neither he nor his friend heard any strange noises.

I plan to start by pulling the primary cover off to observe what is going on. I don't have a Sportster Service Manual, but I told the owner to invest in one.

Does anyone have any advice or insight?

Maybe pictures of the inner primary exposed for reference?

Thanks.
I don't think you have to worry about your point #4. The chain will naturally pull up slack turning one direction and will naturally feed slack going the other direction since the tension is taken up on the bottom and fed to the top. But there should not be that much slack in the first place. The play for that primary, at its tightest spot, shouldn't be more than:

Cold - 3/8-1/2 in. (9.53-12.70 mm)
Hot - 1/4-3/8 in. (6.35-9.53 mm)

Lets hope, but it sounds more like, you don't find a problem like the one discussed in this thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...tch-alert.html

Last edited by DOMAPOI; 11-09-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
I don't think you have to worry about your point #4. The chain will naturally pull up slack turning one direction and will naturally feed slack going the other direction since the tension is taken up on the bottom and fed to the top.

Lets hope, but it sounds more like, you don't find a problem like the one discussed in this thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...tch-alert.html
I read about the rivets failing. A clutch replacement would be an easy fix though, but it might be a pricey burnout! If that's the case, hopefully the clutch basket is still in good shape.

But about my point #4...if the bike is in the highest gear, and the back wheel is turned, that should in turn rotate the gears in the transmission and then the primary chain, and lastly the crank in the engine. That isn't the case with this bike in its current state...

I appreciate the ideas! Please keep them coming.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 AM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also make certain that the splines on the secondary drive pulley haven't stripped (that's the front pulley on the right side of the bike)

Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1984_FXRT
I'd also make certain that the splines on the secondary drive pulley haven't stripped (that's the front pulley on the right side of the bike)
Thanks for the tip. Are those splines prone to stripping off?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Thanks for the tip. Are those splines prone to stripping off?
It was a fairly common failure on the older solid-mount EVO Xls.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

You understand once you touch this Friends bike you will then “Owen” it for the rest of your life.
(you understand this statement from a mechanical / repair point?)
Just my $0.02, I would help find the problem but I would recommend a shop to fix it.

It does sound like a clutch problem.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenney
I agree, that does sound like a clutch problem. If there was damage to a spline I would expect you to hear unusual noises when the engine is running and the bike is in gear.

Wat's the mileage on the bike? If it's had your friend's treatment for some time I would not be surprised if the clutch is shot.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kenney
You understand once you touch this Friends bike you will then “Owen” it for the rest of your life.
(you understand this statement from a mechanical / repair point?)
Just my $0.02, I would help find the problem but I would recommend a shop to fix it.

Kenney, I hear what you're saying, loud and clear. He's an active duty Marine, and I am a former Marine, so I feel as though if I can help, I should. I do see your point about "Owen'ing" the bike. I told him at the least, I'd help to find the cause.

Originally Posted by hhkiwi
I agree, that does sound like a clutch problem. If there was damage to a spline I would expect you to hear unusual noises when the engine is running and the bike is in gear.

Wat's the mileage on the bike? If it's had your friend's treatment for some time I would not be surprised if the clutch is shot.

I was thinking this as well. The splines seem to be intact, as when the bike is in gear and the wheel rolls, there is some slack taken out of the primary chain, plus it wasn't noisy when running.

The bike has about 8,000 miles, and he's had it about 2 months. Previous owner was an older couple that putted around town from time to time.

I guess worst case scenario (thinking out loud here) is that the transmission could be ruined. I doubt that is the case, but it's possible. Are the transmissions in the Sportsters pretty solid?

Quick Reply: Bike runs, shifts thru gears - but doesn't move