Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48 with heavy breather and short shots

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 PM
JonnyLew
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 48 with heavy breather and short shots

Hey Everyone Im New to the HD scene..been in the sportbike scene for a few years..actually fully rebuilt my 2000 zx9r frame off and crank up rebuild on the engine..soo performance add ons are nothing new but...I havent taken delivery of my 2013 forty eight because its awaiting mods...i want the heavy breather and short shots...dealer says they have to dyno and all for short shots..i read online you can get away with the stage one calibration for the heavy breather alone then buy aftermarket and install with no pops or backfires...true? any help would be great..and im excited to join the HD brother and sister hood

Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the Forums, rule of thumb is you can change one (intake or exhaust) without adjusting the lean condition so a lot of members say, but the motor is running lean right out of the box so in my view I feel even leaving the bike with stock parts it still should be brought out of the lean condition. That being said, I have read many articles on the Short Shots and the above "Rule of Thumb" seems to not apply to those pipes, so adding them alone without upgrading the intake the dealer is correct at least from what I have read.

If you Stage 1 the intake and pipes (or just add short shots) then a tuner is advised and the best way to adjust the tuner is a dyno.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 AM
JonnyLew
Tourer

thank for the reply...only thing is dealer said they could dyno tune for the reccomended 3 hours before they ship it..but after the break in they usually like to check again on dyno incase it may need a readjustment..now the problem i have theres no dyno near by..closest is more than 12 hour drive..so kinda why im stuck and dont know what to do..

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member

Is there other motorcycle shops around? it doesn't have to be a Harley Dealer, if there is call them and ask if they have a dyno or know who does in the area.. If Harley is installing the Short shots if it was me I would find a close dyno and tell harley not to worry about the dyno that I will have it done myself.. because of the EPA most Harley Dealers will not adjust it out of the lean condition so most of the time having Harley do it is a waste. As well, you can have them ship the bike to you without the dyno and buy an aftermarket tuner such as Power Commander V call them and have them pre-program a map into it so when you get it - you just hook it up and ride!! if you ever get near a dyno then have it checked-

Last edited by ib5150; 06-02-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 AM
pumpkinescobar11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its a harley dealer in so cal, you might have a tough time getting pipes, and for sure have a tough time getting them to install, carb stuff

Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM
JonnyLew
Tourer

Originally Posted by ib5150
Is there other motorcycle shops around? it doesn't have to be a Harley Dealer, if there is call them and ask if they have a dyno or know who does in the area.. If Harley is installing the Short shots if it was me I would find a close dyno and tell harley not to worry about the dyno that I will have it done myself.. because of the EPA most Harley Dealers will not adjust it out of the lean condition so most of the time having Harley do it is a waste. As well, you can have them ship the bike to you without the dyno and buy an aftermarket tuner such as Power Commander V call them and have them pre-program a map into it so when you get it - you just hook it up and ride!! if you ever get near a dyno then have it checked-
ok so i will tell them install the heavy breather and pre-program a map? im sure it will be cheaper to get the short shots online..they wanted 2-2500 for the heavy breather and short shots installed with 3 hours dyno time...so that way i can order a programmer online with the shortshots..there is a dyno 8 hours away..so i can haul my bike up for a weekend sometime and get it dynod there is also a harley dealer 3 hours from me aswell but dont think theres a dyno in that town

Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JonnyLew
ok so i will tell them install the heavy breather and pre-program a map?
No- Have them install the Heavy Breather - You don't tell Harley to install a Map...if you buy the Power Commander V off of Dynojet (the manufacture of the tuner)and call them before you buy it and ask them to install a map in to it before they ship it to you- They will, you will need to tell them the size of your motor (883 or 1200) and what items you have on the bike in the way of intake and exhaust So even thou at the time of buying the tuner you do not have the pipes on yet tell them YOU DO so that they will pre-set a Map on the Power Commander V to fit your bike.. Then when you get it in the mail wait until you have installed the pipes then connect the Commander. all done

Last edited by ib5150; 06-02-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 AM
JonnyLew
Tourer

Ahhh ok...gotcha sounds good!! then after that i wont need to worry about dyno or anything? or is dyno just to fine tune for maximum hp ?