Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanNightmare
I had to go into town this morning to do some banking. As I walked outside I had two choices. Looking at the truck I turned to the bike. It was a crisp 37 degrees. Sun was out and a slight frost on the truck. It was a no brainer, why start the truck to clear frost when I can just hop on the bike. I even took the 12 miles extra bikers short cut.

Most these posers here will not even consider rolling their garage sofa out till it hits 75 for a washing.

How was your ride this morning brother?!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:03 PM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was GREAT.... dealing with some 60 degree/cloudy weather, supposed to rain at some point but I still have the beast out. I ain't no fair weather rider!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
I had to go into town this morning to do some banking. As I walked outside I had two choices. Looking at the truck I turned to the bike. It was a crisp 37 degrees. Sun was out and a slight frost on the truck. It was a no brainer, why start the truck to clear frost when I can just hop on the bike. I even took the 12 miles extra bikers short cut.

Most these posers here will not even consider rolling their garage sofa out till it hits 75 for a washing.

How was your ride this morning brother?!
Awesome!
Like you, I always like to take the "bikers short cut" that adds miles. Out here in Central California, it was mid 70s at 7am this morning, (it'll be well over 100 for the ride home). My normal route is only 4 miles, but the "shortcut" is 15 miles

But yeah, I ride when its that cold. That's what jackets are for!

As for the original topic. My pipes are loud. The neighbors say they're loud. For all the crap I have to put up from those that have something to say, I give 'em an extra throttle rap when I pass their house every now and then so it sets off their car alarm. The rest of the neighbors are cool, and I usually try to pass as quietly as possible. And I never do more than 15mph through my neighborhood either

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 05-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
...I turned to the bike. It was a crisp 37 degrees...
Originally Posted by AmericanNightmare
...I ain't no fair weather rider!
Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
...yeah, I ride when its that cold...My pipes are loud. The neighbors say they're loud....I give 'em an extra throttle rap when I pass their house every now and then so it sets off their car alarm...
What tough guys you must be! What a bunch of amateurs!

Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Damn this thread is great but I am running out of popcorn. Whens episode 2? So far I like DustyBones the most, I would definitely trust him with my six. I don't understand where Mr.TrikeMan is coming up with "me, me, me". AmericanNightmare made this post to solve the problem between those who are complaining and himself. Not only is he trying to make this effort but he already tried solving the problem by parking further away. I think Mr.TrikeMan started out on the wrong foot. AmericanNightmare doesn't seem like a bad guy to me. He is asking for advice so that everyone is happy.

AmericanNightmare, are you located near a hill? Maybe you can roll down a hill before starting your bike so that you are further away from those who are complaining. I use to do that.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You sound jealous.

I moved back up to MI from NC at the start of february. When I got back here my first full day was 14F for the high temp. Son I rode on the still snow covered side roads to get to the main roads that were clear for a ride.

You have no clue. Need to know what tires give the best snow traction on a sportster? Ask how many here have experience with a few brands and what their opinions are on what tire is best. Im not talking NC or GA flurries type snow either. I can tell ya what tires gave me best traction on snow.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:04 PM
J Backlund
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the most part, I like my neighbors and get along with them. I bought a 2004 Sportster roadster last week, all stock except for the Screaming Eagle II's on it. I won't start it before at least 9:00AM though, the thing is LOUD. On the 19th, next Monday, the stock mufflers I bought from a guy in Texas will be delivered. By Tuesday, the bike will be a lot quieter. I have five motorcycles, and none of them have aftermarket exhaust.

I don't wake the neighbors, or **** them off, and I still have all the fun I can stand on my bikes.

I'm not criticizing anyone else here, just saying how I do it. My Sportster is my 48th motorcycle over five decades of riding the things, so I may be new here, but not to motorcycles.

Last edited by J Backlund; 05-16-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Here ya go lo rider. My wife took a pic when I got back from my snow ride.

Not hard core at all. I just love to ride. Instead of excuse after excuse not to ride, I look for any reason to ride.

Go polish some chrome. It'll cheer ya up.

Attached Thumbnails Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?-image-2419808839.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by J Backlund
For the most part, I like my neighbors and get along with them. I bought a 2004 Sportster roadster last week, all stock except for the Screaming Eagle II's on it. I won't start it before at least 9:00AM though, the thing is LOUD. On the 19th, next Monday, the stock mufflers I bought from a guy in Texas will be delivered. By Tuesday, the bike will be a lot quieter. I have five motorcycles, and none of them have aftermarket exhaust.

I don't wake the neighbors, or **** them off, and I still have all the fun I can stand on my bikes.

I'm not criticizing anyone else here, just saying how I do it. My Sportster is my 48th motorcycle over five decades of riding the things, so I may be new here, but not to motorcycles.
Do you remember every single one? Name them!

Old 05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Ouch. That hurt....

Quick Reply: Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?