Support for The Troops and their Families This is the place to give and get information about Support for our Troops and their Families.

In Iraq...never ridden...too difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM
AH64DMatt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Iraq...never ridden...too difficult?

Hello all...
I'm a Apache pilot currently serving my 2nd tour in Iraq (4 years of flying...2,000 hours, 1,200 Combat thus far, with 6-8 months remaining on this tour.). I've always wanted to own a bike, but it never felt like the right time. I always had new training events coming up, or I was TDY, or deployed. Well, now I find myself sitting in my CHU, dreaming about owning a Night Train or Fat Boy. The only question I have is this...

Would it be stupid to buy a brand new Harley from AAFES while I'm here? I don't know how to ride, but I'm not going to sit ***-in-Seat without the Motorcycle Safety Course. I have an extreme desire to own a Harley when we get back, and I want to go about it the right way. I don't want to be that jackass who gets a bike and wrecks it in the parking lot of the dealer! I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for your time
Matt

Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: In Iraq...never ridden...too difficult?

Learning is easy. If you can fly a bird or drive a stick you can ride a bike. Controlling the ego is the important part Chief. Ego being that right hand on the throttle. Get the bike you want, take your time learning. I would recommend the Harley folks in Iraq because they'll be able to get all the deals and custom stuff you want.

My suggestion? Think Fat Bob

Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your service. If you can fly that Apache in combat I have a feeling the motorcycle will be easy. Though I must admit some mornings at rush hour you would think all the cages on the road are on a suicide mission to kill me

If you know you want a bike and you know you want a Harley I do not see anything wrong with buying it. Personally I decided to take a couple out as rentals before I decided which I wanted to buy. It had been 10 years since I was on a bike, but after the saftey class it all came back real quick.

I do not know what the price difference is over there, maybe it would be worth it to buy one while you were there to save money. Be careful , come back safe to ride that Harley.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:09 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Howdy Matt
First, Thank You, Sir for doing your 'job'. You make it possible for us all to live our lives like we do.
Now, I'd say heck yes on buying the bike thru the AAFES, it seems togive you a pretty good deal. You can always throw money at the bike when you get home.
And if you can "beat the air into submission" in that bird, I would be surprised if after taking aHarley Riders Edge,Secretary of Stateor other suitable course(MRSF, etc)you would not be flying the Harley around too. IMHO.
Stay Safe,

Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your combat training will prepare you for riding on the street. You're dodging missles, RPGs and other projectile weapons daily, it's the same on the street, only it's that soccer mom on the cell phone with 6 screaming kids in the back that will kill you just as soon as a direct hit will. Don't let your guard down there or here, they may not be intent on killing you, as some militant islamic is, but their inattention is just as effective.
Thanks for your service, hope you get that Hog and enjoy the ride! Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 PM
strangebird
Intermediate

Flying and riding are alike just remember to keep the sunny side up.

Good luck and do take a MRSF. Thanks for serving, fly safe!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM
dan8411
Advanced

Matt-
If you are going to do it, pull the trigger there and save the tax!! I understand the military sales is great, they will deliver it right to the shop of your choice, waiting for you to arrive back home. All that will be left is to take the MRSF Beginners Course and start customizing your ride. Good luck and keep safe.

Dan

Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
ghostriderfxstb07
Tourer

ORIGINAL: AH64DMatt

Hello all...
I'm a Apache pilot currently serving my 2nd tour in Iraq (4 years of flying...2,000 hours, 1,200 Combat thus far, with 6-8 months remaining on this tour.). I've always wanted to own a bike, but it never felt like the right time. I always had new training events coming up, or I was TDY, or deployed. Well, now I find myself sitting in my CHU, dreaming about owning a Night Train or Fat Boy. The only question I have is this...

Would it be stupid to buy a brand new Harley from AAFES while I'm here? I don't know how to ride, but I'm not going to sit ***-in-Seat without the Motorcycle Safety Course. I have an extreme desire to own a Harley when we get back, and I want to go about it the right way. I don't want to be that jackass who gets a bike and wrecks it in the parking lot of the dealer! I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for your time
Matt

Matt
There are alot of ways that you can approach this. You say you have never ridden,which has alot to do with the bike you choose. The real kicker here is how much money you save by going through AAFES. If you do decide to commit to getting one before training, I would get as much input from everyone you know about the bike you want, depending on how tall you are, arm length and various other things. I will say this, don't wait for the " right " time. After you have done your research, just do it. It took me going to Iraq to realize I should have been on a Harley my whole life. I have been riding since the early 70's and got my license in early 80's but have always wanted a Harley. I'll never go back. I Love my Nighttrain, but it is not for everyone. Be safe over there, hurry home , get the training and live to ride!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
WireDawg
Road Master

Matt,

First of all......thx for putting your a$$ on the line preserving our Freedom........The vast majority of us on the forums appreciate it !!! (somehow a few libs flew in under the radar)

AAFES is an excellent program.........go for it. While some dealers give us military discounts, not all do.......the AAFES was the only true discount I could find directly from HD.

As far as the basic rider course; I've been riding over 30 years (including racing semi-pro moto-x in my youth) and I've found that course very rewarding. No one knows it all; I strongly encourage you to take the course w/ an open mind !!!

Just my $ .02...........Be safe man !!!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

If you can handle an Apache in combat, you can handle a NT or FB. (or probably pretty much any other motorcycle you decide to ride...) Good thinking on taking a MSF course before putting azz in saddle. If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. I'll bet the hardest part will be choosing which one to buy. Good luck with it, get yourself home safe, and post pics once it is in the driveway.

Quick Reply: In Iraq...never ridden...too difficult?