The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Has anyone been successful with pre 09 E-Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Winddancer4u
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone been successful with pre 09 E-Glide?

Hi..
I am NOT new to the darkside, and have done it for years with well over 125k miles on large touring bike.
With that being said, I AM new to Harley's and trying to convert them to the darkside.
I have inherited a 2004 Ultra Classic from my dad, who passed away, and
as I said before, I have done a lot of miles on a CT and do not like the way this bike feels on a MC tire, and do not feel very safe with it on, especially in Boston traffic. I ride all year long in any condition, and it seems these tires (commander II) like to slip in the rain, and on ANY damp painted surface, like stop lines and crosswalks ect. and they still have good tread.
I hate them, I hate the feeling of them, and I am really not liking this bike because of it.
I am spoiled by the braking and the rock solid feeling of the CT, and confidence I can go scrapping the boards on any road type , in any weather condition..
I have searched and read a ton of threads on tires and car tires on this and other forums, and still have no real answer..
(please do not suggest http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires it is no help.)
I see that we have a problem with tire size, and there are only 2 tires,
Auston and Dunlap at 175/75r16 and a possible 3rd at 175/60r16
is anyone here actually running any of these tires on a pre 09 ultra?
I know some have tried, but I can't believe I can't find anyone who has succeeded.
Also since I am not a Harley guy, is it possible to switch out a 16inch rim with a 15inch? does Harley even make them??
if so the 165/80r15 is a great tire size for a bike..
Well hopefully I can find the answer and get this bike back to the darkside where it belongs...
Thank you...
Chuck

*** added**
I forgot to add the tire I am currently interested in.. I have had great luck with federals, and nexen.
https://simpletire.com/federal-175-6...FVFXDQodGbAPog

Last edited by Winddancer4u; 05-07-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Winddancer4u
Hi..
I am NOT new to the darkside, and have done it for years with well over 125k miles on large touring bike.
With that being said, I AM new to Harley's and trying to convert them to the darkside.
I have inherited a 2004 Ultra Classic from my dad, who passed away, and
as I said before, I have done a lot of miles on a CT and do not like the way this bike feels on a MC tire, and do not feel very safe with it on, especially in Boston traffic. I ride all year long in any condition, and it seems these tires (commander II) like to slip in the rain, and on ANY damp painted surface, like stop lines and crosswalks ect. and they still have good tread.
I hate them, I hate the feeling of them, and I am really not liking this bike because of it.
I am spoiled by the braking and the rock solid feeling of the CT, and confidence I can go scrapping the boards on any road type , in any weather condition..
I have searched and read a ton of threads on tires and car tires on this and other forums, and still have no real answer..
(please do not suggest http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires it is no help.)
I see that we have a problem with tire size, and there are only 2 tires,
Auston and Dunlap at 175/75r16 and a possible 3rd at 175/60r16
is anyone here actually running any of these tires on a pre 09 ultra?
I know some have tried, but I can't believe I can't find anyone who has succeeded.
Also since I am not a Harley guy, is it possible to switch out a 16inch rim with a 15inch? does Harley even make them??
if so the 165/80r15 is a great tire size for a bike..
Well hopefully I can find the answer and get this bike back to the darkside where it belongs...
Thank you...
Chuck

*** added**
I forgot to add the tire I am currently interested in.. I have had great luck with federals, and nexen.
https://simpletire.com/federal-175-6...FVFXDQodGbAPog
Subscribed

Old 05-18-2017, 04:18 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 08-18-2017, 04:11 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Dark side

Facebook Post