The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Switched tires and rims from 2010 SG to 2012 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 12:40 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

I''m old so bear with me. Back in the day many tires, particularly British, would have two arrows marked in opposite
directions - one labelled front and the other designated as rear. The front or rear position on the bike determined
proper rotation direction. I customized a 1994 Fatty with 18 inch wheels and used the same tire front and rear
without any problems utilizing switched position / rotation.

The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 12:54 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Boy ... I'd have to see that to believe it ... Just sayin'
It had to do with the Harley 402 and the equivalent tire 404? that was used on metrics. Been a few years but the metrics ran the tire (marked differently) in opposite direction from Harley.

Bonnie Storm (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Bonnie, not trying to give you a hard time, because I think you are great, but I really don't see it that way.
I understand what you are saying about the stock front, but now think about a stock rear tire mounted on a virgin bike. It was designed and installed to pump water from the center to the edges to prevent hydroplaning. I think we can all agree on that. If that is true then turning 180 degrees along the vertical axis will cause it to move the water to center. The tire does not know or care if it is on the front or rear of the bike it is tire. It can only work one way.
I spent a lot of time pondering this before I went double dark on the old RGU.
This is just the way I see it...
I know your not trying to give me a hard time. Keep in mind especially in this area of the forum when I'm replying to someone, I'm not only replying to them, but an entire audience present and future. So I'm kind of trying to keep it relatively simple for everyone to gain at least a small understanding in the event they too decide to go DarkSiding and even going Double Dark. That plus I have to be extra sure of what I'm saying since it appears I am the only female rider on these forums who has gone to the dark side, even double dark with no guidance other than information I had gleaned over the years from various sources. Never mind I do my own wrenching as well as tire changes using hand tools no less.

I suppose first one needs to understand that motorcycle tires have specific jobs by their design. The rear tire is mainly for traction or driving force where the front tire is responsible for braking and steering. And by design and engineering each has rain sipes to perform the job of removing rain from beneath the tires for optimal traction as well as braking.

With your questioning the rain sipes, I decided to do more research because in theory anyway, the rain sipes should be going the same direction as the rear tire. The same way directional tires are mounted on a car both front and rear. I mean, aren't rear wheel drives similar to a motorcycle since the rear is responsible for traction and the front for braking and steering? Yet both sets of front and rear tires are mounted in the same direction. Aside from the lean angles, what is the difference? BTW, of the dozens of sites I visited earlier looking for answers, I wasn't able to find a single one that had a viable answer. With the science, engineering, and design behind it, one would think there would be tons of information out there but most are theories at best.

There are some who have ventured to mounting the rear tire in the designated rotation and have said they had no issues running them that way. Heck, here are two pictures of different bikes. One with the rear tire mounted the same as the original front tire, and one mounted the same as the rear tire. I'm not quite sure where I snagged those pictures since I've had them for a while. Heck, it may have even been from here. (They're running 180 rear tires probably on aftermarket rims with modified or aftermarket fenders)

So now I'm thinking, do I throw science, design, and engineering out the window and make another path on my own? I'll have that answer in a day or 3. I need to run some calculations and simulations before I decide.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL exactly! I have seen front mounted rears going both ways as per your pics.

I have heard folks say that the rear belts are designed for acceleration first and braking second. Whereas front tires are designed for braking and handling first. These folks say they put it on backwards because otherwise it might damage the belt due to hard breaking if they did not. I have never agreed with that theory.

I have also heard a few folks say that Battle Ax rears run on the front get splits in them unless mounted backwards. They showed pics of damaged tires. Still that does not make sense to me and mine never got splits.

When I ran double dark on the old bike I mounted the tire frontwards because I figured it would pump out water better that direction. Am I right? Who knows? I can tell you that bike ran through heavy rain at highway speeds like it was on rails. The other good thing that might or might not have anything to do with direction was the bike had stupid good emergency braking. (don't ask me how I know!)

Does any of this prove anything? Not really... It's just my thoughts on the subject.

Bonnie Storm (04-09-2019)