The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision works intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:26 AM
elbohead
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Vision works intermittently

I like to keep my PV mounted on the bike to use the gauges while riding. The engine temp and gear indicator gauges specifically. I've been having issues lately where they go blank after a short period of time. By this I mean the screen still reads "Engine Temp" and "Gear" but there are no longer numeric values. The only way to reset is to pull the connection, and plug it back in. Or shut the bike off and start over.

Occasionally, all will be fine for 30 minutes or more, but most times this happens after only a minute or two.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

This is caused by RF interference most commonly from spark plug wires or the coils. You simply need to re-route the PV cable and it will take care of it.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 AM
elbohead
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
This is caused by RF interference most commonly from spark plug wires or the coils. You simply need to re-route the PV cable and it will take care of it.
Thanks Jamie. I actually bought my PV from FM a while back.

Here is a pic of the PV wire coming out from the side cover and running on top of the tank. Is this incorrect?
Thx again.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by elbohead
Thanks Jamie. I actually bought my PV from FM a while back.

Here is a pic of the PV wire coming out from the side cover and running on top of the tank. Is this incorrect?
Thx again.

While coils and plug wires are the most common causes of RF, it is possible to get interference from other sources as well. I would try running the cable along the top of the frame.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently got around to running an autotune session after the installation of fresh spark plugs and 7,000 miles since the last MAP was loaded, and everything went well with no issues whatsoever. This time however I decided to leave the PV installed by mounting it on my handlebars to display RPM, battery voltage, engine temp., and throttle position.

Like the OP, the gauges on my PV displayed data for about 30 seconds, then the RPM needle on the tach dropped to zero and the data disappeared from the other displays. I pulled over, and found the touch display non responsive, so I shut down the bike, waited 15 seconds, then started and the display was once again functional, but this time it crapped out in 10 seconds time. Annoyed, I just stared at it ocassionally until I got home, did a Google search, and found this thread and others.

Another site recommended updating the client update, the latest tuning application, tune file database, and firmware update.

So last night I did the aformentioned, and as per the suggestion from Fuel Moto above, this morning I rerouted the PV cable away from the left side of the bike to neatly under the fuel tank and away from the RF generating properties of the spark plugs and coil.

I took the bike out this morning and as before, the gauges worked for about 30 to 45 seconds, then conked out again, but this time with one difference; the touch screen display responded when I touched the RPM gauge, which brought me to the next screen, the screen used to set alarm ranges, etc. I didn't change any settings but just hit cancel and the screen returned to the gauges, where there was a 1 second delay, then data started being displayed again, but as before, for only 15 to 30 seconds. I did this numerous times while riding until I decided enough was enough.

So, seeing as how none of the suggestions have produced a fix for this, what's next? Do I need to do a reset, or? After being a positive mouthpiece for the PV tuner since I bought it, I gotta say that this display problem is taking it down a notch for me.

Jamie from Fuel Moto, I purchased this PV from you guys on 12/10/2012, Sale #51876. If you have any further suggestions I'm all ears, thank you.

=8^) aka Andy B.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:18 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Waiting to hear a response as I have the same issue where mine goes out as well.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:15 PM
AntoninJapan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Waiting to hear a response as I have the same issue too

note: i recently purchased tune lisence from FM and then started having trouble with installing tunes from Dynojet. My bike is a new 2017 FXDB and my ECM Strategy is 414...screen not going blank, but PV2 has become unresponsive. I ran the PV2 Cable to the right side under the tank away from spark plugs.

Any more ideas?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:20 AM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

I sure do hate to hear this. I haven't experienced these problems myself, but do leave the PV handlebar mounted to utilize the gauge feature. Hope I don't experience this problem in the future...

I am working to resolve a TT upgrade problem(s) as noted in the PV sticky thread.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:09 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Having same issue posted in another thread. I didn't have this issue until a recent warranty exchange. Previous PV worked three years with wire ran in the backbone under the tank. I am not convinced RF is the problem. A new power cable was sent and this did not fix the issue.

The following users liked this post:
AntoninJapan (03-21-2018)
Old 08-06-2017, 02:39 AM
gruse
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing here,gauges will blank out. Purchased PV from FM also early this year.

Will this signal issue effect auto tuning?

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Power Vision works intermittently