The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

THUNDERMAX: Blowing ign. fuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 AM
butterballs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blowing ign. fuse

I have a 09 FXDC . My ignition fuse started blowing last fall frequently. Put a new fuse in and good to go for a while then it blows again. Looked at wiring diagram and checked the wiring to the kill switch and can find no problem. Im wondering if the problem could be with the T max as the fuse also connects to the data link. Has anyone else had this problem ? I tried a search in this forum and couldn't find anything.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

How long does it take to blow?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Assuming you gave a gen 2 tmax, the diag connector ign wire powers the afr unit. The afr unit powers the heaters for the 02 sensors from that wire. You could have short in the heater wires, even a bad 02 sensor. You can check that wiring for pinch but also need to check the wires going to system relay and ECM from the handlebar.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:46 PM
butterballs
Cruiser

The time it takes to blow varies . I have rode over a 100 miles with out it blowing.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:55 PM
butterballs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Assuming you gave a gen 2 tmax, the diag connector ign wire powers the afr unit. The afr unit powers the heaters for the 02 sensors from that wire. You could have short in the heater wires, even a bad 02 sensor. You can check that wiring for pinch but also need to check the wires going to system relay and ECM from the handlebar.
I got the T max 5 or 6 years ago . Im not sure what generation it is . When I link to the T max would it tell me that the o2 sensor is bad or if there was a problem ?

Last edited by butterballs; 02-26-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by butterballs
I got the T max 5 or 6 years ago . Im not sure what generation it is . When I link to the T max would it tell me that the o2 sensor is bad or if there was a problem ?
Probably not.. When the fuse blows, the ECM simply thinks the run/stop switch was shut off.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:13 AM
butterballs
Cruiser

Probably not.. When the fuse blows, the ECM simply thinks the run/stop switch was shut off.
OK assuming the wires are all good how can you tell if an O2 sensor is bad ?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Not really sure that the o2 sensors can go bad that way. You can go into the Tmax software and disable o2 sensing then unplug from the diagnostic port. At this point you could run the bike and see if it stops blowing fuses tho it would probably be best to remove the 02 sensors and plug the holes. It's not good for the 02 sensors to sit in the exhaust without the heaters.

I doubt it's the issue but could be wrong. One thing I would check is the condition of the wires going into the fuse block and the connectors connect the fuse. If they are corroded or loose, they will heat the fuse up and it will eventually will fail. Depending on the number if fuses blown, you might see wire insulation melting going into the fuse block. It looks like you got apes on the bike and wires internally. I'd make sure that mod is good.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:57 AM
butterballs
Cruiser

Not really sure that the o2 sensors can go bad that way. You can go into the Tmax software and disable o2 sensing then unplug from the diagnostic port. At this point you could run the bike and see if it stops blowing fuses tho it would probably be best to remove the 02 sensors and plug the holes. It's not good for the 02 sensors to sit in the exhaust without the heaters.

I doubt it's the issue but could be wrong. One thing I would check is the condition of the wires going into the fuse block and the connectors connect the fuse. If they are corroded or loose, they will heat the fuse up and it will eventually will fail. Depending on the number if fuses blown, you might see wire insulation melting going into the fuse block. It looks like you got apes on the bike and wires internally. I'd make sure that mod is good.
I have pulled the the wires from the bars and found no problems there. Im going to check the diagnostic codes then will start looking at wiring at fuse block, O2 sensors, data link etc. I cant really ride anywhere yet its still winter here, but I would like to solve this problem before riding season.

Thanks