The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table -

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 AM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table -

The highlighted area shows how much timing Power Vision auto tune pulled to stop the knock. It's a pretty small area but it took a lot out.
Is this normal or does it indicate any trouble ?
2007 Road King - 107CI with Woods TW-555 Stock header with Screamin Eagle slip ons and stage 1 intake.
Thank you in advance

Attached Thumbnails Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table --front-timing.jpg   Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table --original-front.jpg   Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table --rear-timing.jpg   Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table --original-rear.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

I don't see a lot of non false knock activity at 30 kpa at 1750-2000 rpm. I have always pretty much considered that no load, decel area. I would look into the actual data to see what is really going on.

The following users liked this post:
Gozzie (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Gozzie
Road Captain

Thanks for the response. Do I create a log and post it ? What channels would be helpful ?
It is a no load area and I'm not really hearing it. I see it on the gauges and auto tune keeps retarding it more and more. The rest of the map seems to have dialed in very nicely.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:32 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

I hesitate to use timing adjustments from PV auto-tunes for this exact reason...bad data handling creates poor results.
I believe PV needs more work...
Bob

Gozzie (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

Thanks Bob. I know the response would be to find a dyno. Would the old log tuner benefit me in any way or is there another process I could use myself ?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozzie
Thanks Bob. I know the response would be to find a dyno. Would the old log tuner benefit me in any way or is there another process I could use myself ?
I would do what hrdtail said and look at the ECM data.

I would put the spark tables back to what they were before you ran the AT. Ride the bike and data log it. You can then import the data log file into to MS Excel to review it. It will look similar to the snip attached. Once you look at the data log file, you can manually remove some timing from the areas of your MAP where you see the ECM pulling timing. On the attached snip - Columns O and V show the degrees of timing being pulled by the ECM.

Good luck. I still get some knock events on the PV and in the logs, although, I have never heard any detonation. I found the attached SAE document on the internet concerning non-audible knock. The technical aspects in it are above my pay grade, but perhaps you can make sense of it.

Attached Thumbnails Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table --spark-snip.jpg  
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by oleboy:
Gozzie (04-27-2017), Max Headflow (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
I don't see a lot of non false knock activity at 30 kpa at 1750-2000 rpm. I have always pretty much considered that no load, decel area. I would look into the actual data to see what is really going on.
On my 07 stage 1 wide glide. I only see some knock right around 30 kpa to 35 kpa at 2500 RPM. That is right at 35 mph in 3rd gear. Only place I see knock in my logs. I never hear it. Only see it in my logs. You think it is false knock?

Gozzie (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

Thanks oleboy and everyone else. I feel better now reading your posts. Mine is the same as what you are saying. Barely open throttle, no load, 1750-2500 shows knock events but I cant hear it or feel it or know it's there without seeing it on the gauge. No surging and it appears to be running good.
I'm wondering if it isn't some kind of reversion going on with the cam exhaust combo that I have. I'm going to go back to the older map and play around in those areas. I don't think I can hurt anything. Maybe I'll start by raising the VE in those areas and see what the knock gauge reads.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:27 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozzie
Thanks oleboy and everyone else. I feel better now reading your posts. Mine is the same as what you are saying. Barely open throttle, no load, 1750-2500 shows knock events but I cant hear it or feel it or know it's there without seeing it on the gauge. No surging and it appears to be running good.
I'm wondering if it isn't some kind of reversion going on with the cam exhaust combo that I have. I'm going to go back to the older map and play around in those areas. I don't think I can hurt anything. Maybe I'll start by raising the VE in those areas and see what the knock gauge reads.
If the AFR table is in the closed loop in the areas that you are seeing timing corrections, I would take a look at the CLI corrections before you start increasing the values in the VE tables. That way you can determine whether it is a hit lean in those areas before you start adjusting and adding fuel.

The data log will show you what is going on in those areas. See the attached snip. If the CLI is less than 100 in the closed loop, the ECM is pulling fuel. If it is greater than 100 it is adding fuel. For example in the attached snip - row 1593 shows my front CLI at .992. So my VE table value for 33.55 KPA and 3019 RPM is set at 71 in my MAP. My AFR table is set to 14.4 (.979 lambda) in this range. The ECM is pulling fuel based on what it has read at the 02 sensor in order to get the AFR back to 14.4. [VE table value of 71 X .992 equals new the new VE value of 70.5 - (columns AB and AC)]. The opposite is happening on the snip at row 1597. The ECM is adding fuel [VE table value of 69 X 1.023 equals the new VE value of 70.5 - (columns AB and AC)] in order to get the AFR back to 14.4.

Attached Thumbnails Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table --cli-snip.jpg  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
I hesitate to use timing adjustments from PV auto-tunes for this exact reason...bad data handling creates poor results.
I believe PV needs more work...
Bob
Agreed, last time I asked DJ (and on here) about auto spark tuning ...they said not to!! Still a work in progress

MLV kind of does the same thing, there is a knock at a point somewhere and then the way the knock control works, it takes it out gradually ...by which time you are into cells that have no knock what so dickie bird, but the "automated" programs are still averaging away quite the thing.

In other words they suggest there in a level of knock when in fact, there isn't!!

The settings on the config (mine anyway as an example) are set to ignore any knock below 50odd kpa so the idea of the PV saying there is knock down at 30 or 40 is maybe a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

Maybe best NOT to use the auto spark tuning unless you have discussed it with Roy @ DJ first

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table -