The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Race Tuner vs Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Kopazzz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Race Tuner vs Power Commander

Just being inquisitive here: can someone please explain the difference between a Screamin Eagle race tuner (which I used for my 04 Road King) verses a Power Commander or any of these modern tuners you regularly hear about today.
Thanks in advance.
- Kopazzz

Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

I use the SERT on my 05 1200. 32124-04B. It's for carbed bikes and allows you to bump the rev limiter up but more importantly create and tweak custom timing maps.
HD doesn't sell them anymore as they got b!+(h slapped by the EPA because they aren't street legal. You can still find them on ebay occasionally but beware. If they've been used, you'll be buying junk as they marry to the first ICM they're hooked to. Bought mine for under $100.
Don't hear much about these as most guys are running the TC88A ICM instead which is a great replacement ignition module. But if you're still running the stock module, the SERT is great and allows you to use separate timing maps for each cylinder(preferable for the sportster motors) that the TC88A does not do.(has a rear offset of 2° tho) The TC88A is also limited to 45° timing where even the stock maps on the SERT CD uses 50°. Not a huge deal because of where it's used(mainly higher rpm decel) but still...
Hope this explains what the SERT is.

Another downside of the SERT now days is the fact no one is using them and the maps are in kpa while the TC88A uses hg. No help in creating maps so I had to learn to create my own maps and/or convert maps done in hg to kpa. The cd does come with 2 maps for each motor that can use it. One for stock cams and one fir SE cams or other similar performance cams. Tweak from there.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

ok, back to the question,,,a power commander is an add on module that allows for timing and fuel adjustments to the factory ecm, it does not change anything in the ecm, but it alters the signals to the injectors on coil. as an add on it stays on the bike in addtion to the ecm. they work pretty well but do have limitations.
The SE race tuner (whatever version) and the TTs Master Tune and Powervision are all "flash"tuners, which allow recalibration of the tables INSIDE the ecm. once tuned, the communcation module is removed and stored untill needed again for some reason. after tuning there is no add on box, just the reprogrammed ecm. the Flash tuners allow for many more and very precise adjustments and because of that they are a) more expensive, b) require much more indepth knowledge of tuning and general EFI performance.
they are very powerful tools, what was the basis for your question? which is better? which is easier? or why the cost difference?
m

Old 02-06-2019, 05:00 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcodarq
ok, back to the question,,,a power commander is an add on module that allows for timing and fuel adjustments to the factory ecm, it does not change anything in the ecm, but it alters the signals to the injectors on coil. as an add on it stays on the bike in addtion to the ecm. they work pretty well but do have limitations.
The SE race tuner (whatever version) and the TTs Master Tune and Powervision are all "flash"tuners, which allow recalibration of the tables INSIDE the ecm. once tuned, the communcation module is removed and stored untill needed again for some reason. after tuning there is no add on box, just the reprogrammed ecm. the Flash tuners allow for many more and very precise adjustments and because of that they are a) more expensive, b) require much more indepth knowledge of tuning and general EFI performance.
they are very powerful tools, what was the basis for your question? which is better? which is easier? or why the cost difference?
m
umm...how 'bout one is is for ECMs and one is for ICMs. The SERT he's talking about is for a carbed bike. As for what it does, it's as precise as it gets. Timing maps. Either you know how to create a timing map or you dont. Or at least know where to tweak an existing one.
A power commander is for ECMs on EFI bikes. Now I know nothing about them since I have no use for one nor did his 04. Or if they even allow you to create a timing map or if it does it for you based on data it receives from sensors. Or is it just fuel related?
Now the SEPST is another thing altogether also for EFI bikes with ECMs. But it's a street tuner, not a race tuner, so I doubt you can create timing maps. If it makes a motor non EPA compliant like the SERT does, HD can no longer sell them.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-06-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:13 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

you need a lesson ,
Sreaming Eagle Race Tuner, SERT is for fuel injected bikes, Power Commanders are for fuel injected bikes.
the first version efi tuner from HD was the SERT, other names or acronyms have followed over the years since it first came out. fuel injected road kings were available in 04 and don't ask me how many of them i've tuned, as i've done so many i've lost count. carbs for big twins were on their way out the door in 04.
m

Old 02-07-2019, 05:05 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcodarq
you need a lesson ,
Sreaming Eagle Race Tuner, SERT is for fuel injected bikes, Power Commanders are for fuel injected bikes.
the first version efi tuner from HD was the SERT, other names or acronyms have followed over the years since it first came out. fuel injected road kings were available in 04 and don't ask me how many of them i've tuned, as i've done so many i've lost count. carbs for big twins were on their way out the door in 04.
m
I'm using the SERT!!! I have an 05 1200C CARBED!!! And you're going to give me a lesson? Go lay down by your dish. You haven't tuned jack. You sure as hell wouldn't tune mine. Look it up. 32124-04, 32124-04A, or 32124-04B. Then come back here and tell me what a SERT IS for.
They may have had them for EFI bikes but they weren't called SERT.
I can't count the number of times I've read old posts here from people like you telling others the SERT was not for carbed bikes.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-07-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:01 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

SERT stands for Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. Most commonly associated with fuel injected applications. What you have is a Screaming Eagle IGNITION Race tuner— never referred to as a SERT amongst the masses. If you want to call it a SERT, well that’s your choice but most don’t recognize that as the ignition tuner.
Marcodarq has it right. If YOU choose to leave out the ignition part, expect everyone to assume you have the fuel injected tuner.

Last edited by jbarr1; 02-07-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:42 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Funny because it says screamin eagle race tuner right on the box. It doesn't say screamin eagle ignition race tuner anywhere. Not on the box. Not on the CD. No where.
If you choose to add ignition to it...
The SERT is for carbed bikes.
screamin eagle pro street tuner, screamin eagle pro super tuner are EFI bikes.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

The street tuner and pro super tuner are the later version of the tuners made by Kent Moore. The original SERT was made by TTS. All I’m saying is that if you refer to it as just a SERT, most will assume it’s for an injected bike.
Look at the pictures in this ad-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi...ox!30215!US!-1
Clearly states “kit, ignition race tuner”

Last edited by jbarr1; 02-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Funny because it says screamin eagle race tuner right on the box. It doesn't say screamin eagle ignition race tuner anywhere. Not on the box. Not on the CD. No where.
If you choose to add ignition to it...
The SERT is for carbed bikes.
screamin eagle pro street tuner, screamin eagle pro super tuner are EFI bikes.
Not really wanting to get into your pissing match but the Ignition Tuner always said so on the boxes. The "SERT" name came from the EFI tuners that I developed for the Delphi EFI systems back in 2000 and the MM units we did back then as well. Those were sold through the Screamin' Eagle division of HD for many years. The Ignition tuners came out afterwards and did not use the same acronym. While All SE parts carry there name, as they should, the ignition tuner was call the Sreamin' Eagle Race Ignition Tuner

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Br125 (06-29-2020), jbarr1 (02-07-2019)

Quick Reply: HARLEY: Race Tuner vs Power Commander