"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Thinking of doing an Iron Butt run

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Leave around 10 or 11 AM. Ride ten hours or so and get a hotel room for 6 or 7 hours of rest, then finish it. You will have time to rest and you will not be wore out. You do not have to do it all in one trip as long as it is finished within 24 hours from the beginning.....
I could be mistaken (I'm sure I'm not though) but I think the whole idea is to do it start to finish stopping only for gas, food, fuel and **** breaks. Hell, anybody can do it in the equivilent of two days.

Last edited by Hey Man; 11-15-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Hey Man,

The 1,000 mile Saddle Sore is 24 hrs. (1 day mate.)

According to IBA rules, yes u can stop and get a motel. Heck , the 50CC ride (50 hours coast to coast), riders can (And do) go half way, get a motel and sleep for 4 hrs. 4 1/2 MAX and continue. IBA does want people to stay safe.

The 1,000 SS is usually accomplished in 17 to 17 1/2 hrs. so if one wanted you can get a motel, you have about 7 hrs to spare easily.

There is no shame to stop and sleep. The IBA Motel (I think it is called) is pulling off in a rest area, setting a SCREAMER ALARM CLOCK (SUPER LOUD) and go to sleep on your bike or more commonly on a picnic table.

Everyone Else: Talking about poopies. I have major issues with this. What I found was, after I go in the morning, I think something happens psychologically whereby my mind/body knows I am on the road moving all the time. My mind/body knows there will be no bathroom nearby so my system seems to close up and I am fine. <-- This is really weird but GREAT!

It is like, your body is so prepped to the riding event, I am not bothered by it. For me, that is incredible. When I work at home, I may go 1-3 times. But when I am out riding for the DAY, my mind/body knows and I am fine.

kered, I think u will be fine there. HYDRATE! HYDRATE! HYDRATE! I Can't say that enough. You will be finely tuned if u do these rides enough how much you need to drink so you are in the "sweet spot". Hydrated just perfectly for the entire ride.

Lastly, yes, you need to eat but nothing that may upset your stomach and (time wise) no "sit down" dinning. I would get a mild turkey sandwich or such that is prepackaged, and date not expired of course. Don't rush but don't lollygag eating it. And off you go.

Ok, now lastly. I Am a little concerned. The input you are getting above is EXCELLENT! These guys KNOW what they are talking about. My concern my friend is that you may be getting nervous or apprehensive with so much input.

Don't worry. Have FUN! If you are unable to make it, just stop. No shame. No worries. SAFETY FIRST!!!!!

If you keep this as a FUN thing to do, (and it is), stick to the culmination of everything you learned above and common sense, you will do VERY WELL!

Don't build it up so you are in a pressure cooker. Relax. You can make errors by over hydrating or under eating. No worries. 24 hrs is still plenty of time if you need to stop earlier than expected to pee. Keep up the highway speeds or flow of traffic. No worries. If you hit a slowdown (construction or otherwise), do not fret. No worries. Everything is no worries. Don't get nervous or start to sweat over it my friend. PLAY! Have fun! Enjoy the ride. You will do fine.

You did a SMART thing. You posted here and got great input and you have the AOW.

My money is on you!

BuzzCap7

The following users liked this post:
craftkr (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

One other thing. stay at the speed limit. Never go over it. The faster you go, the lower your fuel mileage and you will need to stop more often for gas, and you will wear out yourself mentally.