Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Iron Butt Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Softail Iron Butt Challenge

So I just went on a mini road trip over the weekend and on Saturday ended up putting in about 700 miles. On the way to the motel, I kept thinking that I could probably ride for a few more hours if I needed or wanted to. Which led to more thinking (not always a good thing ) about trying to do an Iron Butt - 1000 miles in a day.

I thought it would be fun to see how many softailers have done it or have considered doing it. And if you have thought about it, I will throw down the gauntlet. I will attempt to ride 1000 miles in under 24 hrs sometime this summer - I was thinking maybe in June. Anybody else want to take up this challenge?

Now for those of you who have no desire whatsoever to do this and can't understand why anyone would attempt such a thing, let me just say that this is not about proving something or stroking my ego or anything like that. At least for me. It's just something I want to do because it's there. When I do it, I am not going to keep gas receipts and do all the record keeping needed to get the official Iron Butt Association badge and whatnot. If people want to do that, that's great. I'm just going to do it just to do it. Neither way is better than the other - they are what they are.

Ok, enough with the rambling. Anybody else thought about doing this?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 AM
ao2slabaugh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o yeah many times it's just getting work to let me go lol

Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 AM
f ecstasy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and a friend did 660 miles in 11 hrs last year and I also coulda gone on for more. So yeah, that got me thinking about 1000 miles in a day too. Like you say just cause it's there. Sure hope to try it this summer. Ride safe, ride hard, hope you make it.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Let me know. I'll give it a shot. My record is 750 miles in a day.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior

Drew, you're on. I was thinking of doing about half interstate and half two-laners so it's not just boring hour after hour straight line riding. Will start researching routes...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain

Yup, I did it. July of '07, Bakersfield to Seattle, just over 1000 miles. Took 18 1/2 hours. Left at 7:00 am, got in at 1:30 am. But not on a Softail (I wish), but on my first Harley, an '05 XL1200C Sportster. And this was only the second time I had been on a bike in over 15 years. The first time was the day before when I picked the bike up at the Arizona Toy Store in Mesa and rode it 600 miles to Bakersfield (yes, I know it's only 500 miles to Bakersfield but I got lost and took a 100 mile detour). The ride across the desert on I-10 kicked my butt. Hit a sandstorm and then rain squalls, all the time thinking, what did I get myself into? Eventually made it home and didn't even have a sore butt. Believe it or not, this was on an OEM Harley solo seat.

At a rest stop between Phoenix and LA

Last edited by gforrest2; 04-07-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me and my fiance (no wife) road on one of our trip accross the country, her one a sporty (new model 04) me on my 01 fatboy.......
we did 700 miles a day. you dont notice the miles until the 3rd day that is when it hits you. we are young (in our 30's) and combatted this by having big lay overs every 3rd day, like Las vegas, San Fransisco, Sturgis, etc....
we would stay in big destinations for 2 days or more to recoup....

Old 04-07-2010, 01:51 AM
ao2slabaugh
Tourer

yeah keep me informed micahpop if you not to far from san diego

Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 AM
FBLJosh
Road Captain

I've really been thinking about doing this. Just been trying to find a good time and good route to do it in. Like you, don't want to do all interstate driving, I don't want it to be boring. I think about doing this every year, but never end up doing it. Keep us up to date on this.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

I did 900 miles in 13 hours.........It was a fun trip.......

Quick Reply: Softail Iron Butt Challenge