The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

surfing the dyna

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 PM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Birthday!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

that is how indian larry was killed

Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday Johnny Ringo
by the way you are an idiot
Happy birthday to yoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarule
Indian Larry died doing that same ****!
From Wiki:

Death

Indian Larry was performing a motorcycle stunt at the "Liquid Steel Classic" and "Custom Bike Series" in Concord, North Carolina on August 28, 2004. In the stunt, he was standing on the moving motorcycle. As the stunt progressed the bike began to wobble out of control and he was thrown from the motorcycle, sustaining serious head injuries. He was then taken to the Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, North Carolina, where he died on August 30, 2004 from the head injuries sustained in the mishap. Larry was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

What I enjoyed most about this article, considering the free spirit Larry was is the ever present news rag editorial "not wearing a helmet at the time".

Bones

Last edited by Bones77; 08-21-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Ringo
it is my opinion, after asking my best friend who is a physicist, that the dyna line of harleys is much better suited to bike surfing than any other harley line. he ran multiple calculations on weight displacement, steering damper, and wobble related to the velocity of the given bike.

sportsters have more weight in the top of the bike, hence a higher tipping point, making surfing a sportster more challenging than a bike with a lower mass weight in the frame.

Softails are not meant to be surfed as the frame displaces at random intervals due to the softail construction at the rear of the bike. in addition to this, softails often come equipped with windshields that may adversely affect the "sail" condition of the front end.

touring bikes have too much weight on the handlebars, hence a wobble may develop earlier than in bikes with no fairing, and thus one must go at a higher speed to surf.

ahem, if you made it this far, good for you. im being ironic if you cant tell. it's my birthday. told my wife i would only do this once a year now that i just entered my thirties. so this is my day to have fun. enjoy.
I'll be right back peeps...warming up by Dyna Street Bob as I type this. I got this chit. He can do I can do it. Ah, not really. Okay, where do I start? Right here; At least you were not wearing your birthday suit (snare drum). You did not state before surfing "Watch this, hold my beer." then proceed (snare drum). Your physics brain of a friend whittled his prediction to a Dyna series bike...huh....really...wow.....Indian did it on a hardtail-raked out-chopper, also on a bagger, basically on which ever bike he wanted. I have seen others surf baggers. So nothing personal on your friend; but I think he just wanted to see if you'd do it. Latest issue of, I believe, Cycle Source has a photo of someone surfing on a bagger. The last two points, and the image below are two mere facts to show that your physics buddy is an a-hole that wanted you to do it, to see you eat it.

Last edited by "Dutch"; 08-21-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,544 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Happy birthday, man! I did my last surf in honor of Indian Larry, shortly after he died. Just seemed like something I had to do one last time, but at my age it didn't feel the same as it did 35 years ago, lol. Just ain't as balanced in my ol' fartiness. It was on my Sloptail, but no windshield to mess up the aeros. Best surfer rig I had was my '72 CH rigid chop.

And to all who hammer their insecurities, etc, on what someone else chooses to do - maybe the world is a better place because there are those who live on the edge. Without those dudes this would be one boring place as we all ate our pre-chewed-by-our-Mommies veggie glop.

JR, good on ya! And happy birthday, again.
Eggs-friggen-xactly. Surfing is how I got my name. I have to admit I gave it up after tuning 50, but I'll still stand on the seat holding the bars occasionally.

And JR, late Happy Birthday