EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Size of Bike Reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size of Bike Reccomendation

Sorry for the long post, but I want to get as much detail as possible and need some advice. My son is almost 18 and has been riding for a year or so, many years of experience on dirt bikes. We bought him a Suzuki Intruder 800 for his first bike and it fit him very well. It's a fast little bike too. He is a very good rider (sticks to me like glue and is responsible and seems to have a healthy respect for the dangers). He has grown about 3 inches this past year and the intruder is starting to get a little cramped. He's about 5'9" now, really don't expect him to reach 6'. As an incentive for finishing strong in school the wife and I are bribing him with a promise to get him a Harley. I'll probably have about 5 grand to spend, so if I want to go fairly new it would have to be a sportster. I have been doing some research, and if we can get the grandparents on board, which is very likely we may be able to add a couple of grand to that, which makes 7g's a possibility. In that price range I could possibly find an older softtail, Dyna or maybe even a touring if we get lucky.

Ok, now the question:
Would you go with a newer sporty, which I think he would enjoy for a couple of years, then when we felt he was ready for passengers would be too small is the way to go, or would you go for a bigger bike? He hasn't ever ridden my EG Classic, but he can straddle it with both feet on the ground without issues.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
akmorris81
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get him an unmolested dyna or softail

Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser

Your son's progression almost matches my own exactly, the first Harley I rode was a sportster and loved it although it did seem a little cramped for me at 5'11" and 200lbs. I recently purchased a Dyna Superglide and the bike fits me like a glove and although heavier then the sportster seems to have a lower center of gravity making it easy to handle.

That was just a seat of the pants feeling about either bikes, which I'm sure others could either confirm or deny.

I plan on enjoying my Dyna for years to come.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a $7,000 budget I'd suggest looking hard for a lightly used Dyna or softtail. I found a pristine FXDS, (Dyna Convertible) showroom condition, with 3,600 miles on it last Feb. and paid just that. These bikes are out there is your willing to travel a little. I found mine on ebay. Sportsters are nice, but chances are he'll out grow it and that's money down the drain. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

I recommend maybe an older fatboy or maybe a vrod. Fatboy has a nice low center of gravity classic looks without being on the geezer side.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your story is very very similar to mine with my son. he rode dirt bikes with me from a very early age until i broke my back on a jump way too big for my age (thats another story). anyway, when he turned 16 he got his road license and i picked up a 98 fxdl - mostly stock - and we've had some fun tooling around together. last year, when he turned 18, we toured canada for 7 days. was memorable. he also has ridden my limited and a road king for a little while, but liked the low rider the best. no windshield of course. tonight, we won a ducati monster on ebay that we are picking up this weekend. our whole family has harleys, but he wanted a ducati for a while. i'm kinda stoked to ride it too. i know he will be back to harley when he gets older, but for now he's off to ducati land. make sure he knows what he wants and have a blast riding with him. it's priceless.

tin

Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I loved my sporty until the gas pump boy said....gee I thought sportsters were bigger than this......next bike was a fat boy. Inside of 3 months...lol. He was right. It was too small.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you let him right your touring (or will you ever)? If he likes riding the "geezer glide" then id keep an eye out for a good deal on an old evo bagger becasue he'll never grow out of it. If hes not a fan then maybe a fatboy. If hes getting cramped on his current bike then he'll probably outgrow a sporty too fast. After renting different Harleys and riding my dads road glide a few times i made the jump from my GSXR straight to an electra glide, but i have very different taste in motorcycles than most 21 year old guys. Riding and renting different bikes really helped me find what i liked best.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,030 Likes on 3,075 Posts

I'm bias, get him the softail or dyna.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Glider rider
Tourer

Find the best deal you can on a carbed 88 or Evo. Buy a manual,some tools along with a gift certificate from fatbook. Give him the opportunity to learn how to wrench and create his own ride.

Quick Reply: Size of Bike Reccomendation