The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Close Call

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 PM
revitonup
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the keep it in first gear at stop lights, the rear view mirror at those is almost as nerve racking as when you are moving. I was rear ended at a stop light just as the light turned green and was letting off the clutch. That was back in my hondadavidson days. I never knew that bike could accelerate as fast as it did that day. Luckily she was only going about 10 mph when she hit me and not the speed limit.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Close Calls or near Misses. What ever you wanna call them are gonna happen. How you handle and react to them is how you survive them. Its gonna happen no matter where or when ya ride. Learn from them and get used to them.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:57 AM
GarnetAvenue
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
Close Calls or near Misses. What ever you wanna call them are gonna happen. How you handle and react to them is how you survive them. Its gonna happen no matter where or when ya ride. Learn from them and get used to them.
True, i agree. One thing I always wonder when riders share their "war stories" or stories about being hit or nearly hit, I wonder if they (the rider) had a trace amount or more of alcohol and/or drugs in their system. I almost wish the forums interface had a box that required the poster to place a check mark in inidicating as to whether or not they were drinking or drugging at the time of the near miss or accident or whether they were completely sober at the time of impact and/or near miss, like a required, mandatory, prerequisite action that the writer must take in order to have their war story/post published in the thread. That would help out the riding community for a number of reasons, reasons too many to mention. That's the bad thing about these virtual conversations. In real life, in a real convresation, whenever a rider shares their story about a near miss or accident I ALWAYS ask them if they were "using" even if the conversation is 5 minutes old with a rider (a.k.a. virtual stranger) I just met at a dealership, a coffee shop, a Tijuana bordello, etc, etc. I also ask them what their state of mind was at the time of said incident i.e. were they stressed out from having been laid off of work or served divorce papers or was there mindset completely neutral? Guess I'm a little outspoken in that regard, but fact is knowing the difference can give hope, and wisdom, to those who only drink and drug right before they go to bed at night, or don't drink and drug at all period.

Last edited by GarnetAvenue; 02-18-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,949 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Sorry to tell you this but, it can be a good day if only two or three poeple try to kill you. It all depends on where you ride. Pat attention ANY time there are other vehicles on the road. It takes less than a second & you'll never get that second back.

Glad the old bitch missed ya!
Truer words have never been written.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

* Had so many of those you almost get use to it. I just recently got home from my last escapade. Last week I was nearly hit, some *** hole in a lifted F150. When we pulled up to the next light, I pulled along side him, told him I had two kids and he should put the phone down when driving. He told me to go F myself and he ran the light. It was a short block, so he caught another red. I pulled in behind him and just followed him. The dumb *** kept looking in his rear view mirror. I just followed at a safe distance. I could see it was Fing with him. The *** hole went to his house. As he pulled into his driveway, he ran in the house. I parked up the street and got my phone out to check email.

I was safe enough distance to see him coming in case the *** hole went in and grabbed a weapon. I watched him look out his window a few times. Next thing I know there were four Chula Vista Police cars hauling *** down the street. He called and told the cops a Hells Angel had pulled a gun on him and then followed him home.

The cops were cool once everything got figured out. I still got hooked for a BS Warrant, but he also got hooked for making false statements to the 911 dispatcher. They had us in separate holding cells for four hours. I was taunting him the entire time about what was going to happen when we got put in GP together. He was scared Chitless. It was so funny. They finally moved him several hours later. As he walked passed my cell with the Deps, I had my face on the class like silence of the lambs… I told him, “I know where you live…”

It was his first time in jail and he was pacing and crying at times… what a freaking pu**y. I don't know what happened to him. I did four days and went to pick up my scooter. The cops were cool with the tow and made sure my bike was well taken care of.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 PM
GarnetAvenue
Stage IV

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
....but he also got hooked for making false statements to the 911 dispatcher.
What's the penalty for that sort of misdemeanor if you have no criminal record, do you know, does anyone know? I got a guy who called 911. When the San Diego police arrived he told the patrolmen I hit him (alleged misdemeanor battery). I did not hit him. There were no witnesses it was "he said, she said" my word against his. However, I did capture the entire incident on video! The video is crystal clear, it's an excellent video recording and no where on the video do you see me hitting him. In a week or two I will invite the police over to view the video in my apartment on a 47" HDTV, make a report, and then give me a case number. Due to a variety of circumstances that came into play at the time of the incident, the police were not able to view the video when the incident actually occurred. If you or no one else responds to my question then no problem I'll figure no one knows what the penalty is for bearing false witness/giving false testimony. Thread back on track....

Last edited by GarnetAvenue; 02-18-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

When you come to a stop next to her, kick her door.

I'd like to see that bitch ignore you then.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

[quote=GarnetAvenue;9410197]True, i agree. One thing I always wonder when riders share their "war stories" or stories about being hit or nearly hit, I wonder if they (the rider) had a trace amount or more of alcohol and/or drugs in their system. I almost wish the forums interface had a box that required the poster to place a check mark in inidicating as to whether or not they were drinking or drugging at the time of the near miss or accident or whether they were completely sober at the time of impact and/or near miss, like a required, mandatory, prerequisite action that the writer must take in order to have their war story/post published in the thread. That would help out the riding community for a number of reasons, reasons too many to mention. That's the bad thing about these virtual conversations. In real life, in a real convresation, whenever a rider shares their story about a near miss or accident I ALWAYS ask them if they were "using" even if the conversation is 5 minutes old with a rider (a.k.a. virtual stranger) I just met at a dealership, a coffee shop, a Tijuana bordello, etc, etc. I also ask them what their state of mind was at the time of said incident i.e. were they stressed out from having been laid off of work or served divorce papers or was there mindset completely neutral? Guess I'm a little outspoken in that regard, but fact is knowing the difference can give hope, and wisdom, to those who only drink and drug right before they go to bed at night, or don't drink and drug at all period.

I cant speak for others but I myself never mix alcohol with anything that has wheels. 2,4 or otherwise. I am constantly scanning my surroundings while riding and or driving. Even while doing that, I have had plenty of non contact incidents (Close Call/Near Miss). They cant be avoided because too many other drivers are distracted by the latest electronic gadget or whatever. Reaction time is the critical survival factor.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
The88Beast04
Road Captain

Originally Posted by revitonup
I agree with the keep it in first gear at stop lights,
That's what they taught me in the MSF course last summer

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM
The88Beast04
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pccoder
When you come to a stop next to her, kick her door.
I'd like to see that bitch ignore you then.
Been real tempted to do that too!
especially with the bitch who was reading a magazine in her lap while doing 55... while i'm next to her on a two-lane highway

Quick Reply: My First Close Call