Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator wire oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:29 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Stator wire oil leak

I have a pretty good oil leak going at the moment. Tracing the leak back to the highest point it appears to be coming out of the stator wire plug. I suspect the crank seal is leaking and over filling the primary. My understanding is the way to verify this is to measure the amount of oil in the primary when I drain it. If it is over quart the seal is leaking. I have read that I do not need the main seal tool to remove the crank seal but descriptions are a bit sketchy on how exactly to remove the seal without the screaming eagle tool. Could somebody provide a description of how to remove the seal? Also how to remove the stator with minimal problems? I also have the SE compensator in the primary, the first version. Are the torque specifications the same as the factory compensator or was the torque spec changed?

This is on a 2007 Street Glide with 48000 miles on it.

Thanks

Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

As I understand from experience that seal is not replaceable need to replace stator or at least that's what service dept did on my 07 UC under warranty.Either try to seal it externally or live with it if possible or it's a big job.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely it is just the seal on the stator wire. My 2009 RG started leaking around 60K miles while I was out on a road trip. The dealership I stopped at replaced the stator under the extended warranty and all was good for another 30K miles (when I sold the bike). The oil leak from the stator wire seal can get bad, I really thought there was something serious going on.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Yep, start by checking the stator plug. No need to get ahead of yourself. Not a hard job to replace.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:32 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadie09
Most likely it is just the seal on the stator wire. My 2009 RG started leaking around 60K miles while I was out on a road trip. The dealership I stopped at replaced the stator under the extended warranty and all was good for another 30K miles (when I sold the bike). The oil leak from the stator wire seal can get bad, I really thought there was something serious going on.
This is kind of why I think it is more than just the stator wire, I had quite the mess this weekend when I stopped on a ride.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:42 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a few threads going now on my oil leak saga. I found that one of my sources was the stator plug, and I got that to stop by cleaning that area really really good, then sealing it up with permatex high temp RTV .

So the front source of my leak is fixed, and next up I am going to replace the shaft seal, quad seal and inner primary seals. This is a maddening process.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a leak caused by a bad inner primary bearing a few years back but the source of the leak was different than this one. I asked the question because I only want to go in once.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok I drained the oil from the primary and got about 34 ounces of oil out. I know only one quart went in at the last oil change because I put it in there. So I am operating under the notion the crank seal is leaking. I also have observed the issue at the dipstick.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
Ok I drained the oil from the primary and got about 34 ounces of oil out. I know only one quart went in at the last oil change because I put it in there. So I am operating under the notion the crank seal is leaking. I also have observed the issue at the dipstick.

I think it is supposed to hold 38 oz.
Even through you drained it and refilled it with 32 oz, it don't surprise me that there was slightly more than than in there, due do it probably was not completely drained.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
I think it is supposed to hold 38 oz.
Even through you drained it and refilled it with 32 oz, it don't surprise me that there was slightly more than than in there, due do it probably was not completely drained.
An 07 primary actually holds 45 oz if removed and completly emptied. As much as 38 oz can be drained and is the recommended refill level if just draining the primary for service. If he drained 32 oz a seal leak isn't the problem. He was a little low because the stator wire is leaking as has been suggested.

Quick Reply: Stator wire oil leak