Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing regulator, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 12:22 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Testing regulator, need help

I had the eng light and battery light come on on my 2008 Ultra. Bike off I get 13.6 volts. Same at idle.
Stator continuity test was good. I unplugged the stator and had about 20 volts at each wire at idle.
I then check the stator side of the regulator and had about 12.6 volts at each of the posts.
Next I tried the diode test on the regulator. The only time I got a reading was with the neg lead from the meter to the pos socket of the charge side of the regulator, positive lead to each of the stator posts. 360 at all 3 stator posts. No readings at all with the other 3 combinations.

Does this sound like a bad regulator? Would I be safe trying a new regulator or would a bad stator burn it up?

Old 08-29-2015, 12:27 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

when you attach a meter at the battery with the motor running ( and you can rev it up)

you should not see any DC voltage above 14.8 volts DC

( and the AC volts at the stator should be 16~20 per 1000 rpms- this may vary I don;t have a manual for your bike)

you should not see an AC volts at all ( at the battery- the diode bridge recitifier will take off the tops and bottoms of the AC sine wave = DC voltage

another result of bad diode is voltage draining back thru the VR to ground from the battery when the bike is off- an ammeter will show any current flow back wards.

the tech board electrical section has a sticky with full diagnostics- read through that

Mike

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (09-15-2019)
Old 08-29-2015, 12:40 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

There are stickys in the electrical section on how to check the charging system. But in my opinion, 85% of the time the engine and battery light comes on, it's the regulator.

Btw...your open load stator test at idle sounds right. You might want to rev the motor and ensure the voltage increases. But, if it reads about 20 VAC at idle across all the leads...it's probably Ok.

Some of your other readings are confusing.

Soooo...save some time, and just buy a regulator. Also, while you are in there, if your battery is more than 5 years old I would replace it for good measure. Plus, if the regulator hasn't been charging it fully for a while...it's days are numbered.

Good luck..

The following users liked this post:
frenchbiker (09-17-2019)
Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

The battery is less than a year old, always kept on tender.

Would a bad stator destroy the new regulator?

I read the sticky in the Electrical Tech section. Sounds like tests described are for an earlier model.

"Step 2. To check the regulator unplug it from the stator. Take a test light and clip it to the negative terminal of the battery and then touch first one pin and then the other on the plug that goes to the regulator. If you get even the slightest amount of light from the test light the regulator is toast.
To do this with a meter: black lead to battery ground, red lead to each pin on the plug, start with the voltage scale higher than 12vdc and move voltage scale down in steps for each pin. Any voltage is a bad regulator."

Does the above step describe NOT having any DC voltage on the stator side of the regulator? I have 12.6 V at each of the 3 posts

Old 08-29-2015, 01:26 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,926 Likes on 8,434 Posts

Originally Posted by vicsponjr
The battery is less than a year old, always kept on tender.

Would a bad stator destroy the new regulator?

I read the sticky in the Electrical Tech section. Sounds like tests described are for an earlier model.

"Step 2. To check the regulator unplug it from the stator. Take a test light and clip it to the negative terminal of the battery and then touch first one pin and then the other on the plug that goes to the regulator. If you get even the slightest amount of light from the test light the regulator is toast.
To do this with a meter: black lead to battery ground, red lead to each pin on the plug, start with the voltage scale higher than 12vdc and move voltage scale down in steps for each pin. Any voltage is a bad regulator."

Does the above step describe NOT having any DC voltage on the stator side of the regulator? I have 12.6 V at each of the 3 posts
Yep, any voltage at any of the pins were the stator plugs in means your regulator is bad. It's none repairable.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:28 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI, when I bought my replacement reg. the chrome was 25 bucks cheaper than the black. Go figure.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:50 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

You might consider using dielectric grease on the connector when installing your new reg. You can buy that in little packets at most automotive stores. Usually by the checkout counter.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:09 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Originally Posted by EasternSP
You might consider using dielectric grease on the connector when installing your new reg. You can buy that in little packets at most automotive stores. Usually by the checkout counter.
I put that chit on everything

Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vicsponjr
I put that chit on everything
Toast, crackers, steak, etc.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:21 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Originally Posted by 69cj
FYI, when I bought my replacement reg. the chrome was 25 bucks cheaper than the black. Go figure.
Yeah, I found the stock replacement part # for a "friend who has a friend" that works at a dealership. He gave me the msrp but said it wouldn't cost me that. Only problem, not in stock. I then remembered seeing the chrome replacement on the HD sight. Like you said, it was cheaper, at least $25 cheaper, lol.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the regulator and it looks like it is definitely bad.
Diode test showed current/flow? in only one of four combinations....should be two of four.
Also, with the charging side of the regulator plugged in I am getting a voltage reading on the stator side.

I'm sure my stator is weak but I'm hoping this will get me on the road for a bit while the weather is nice. Once days get shorter I plan to replace the stator and compensator.

Quick Reply: Testing regulator, need help