Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pack Cover? and other mundane q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Clutch Pack Cover? and other mundane q's

I'm contemplating purchasing/installing a compensavor as I have to replace my compensator.

Why the foxtrot wouldn't Harley engineers come up with a modified solution from the get go?

It is my understanding what used to be considered the SE Compensator is now simply what you get when order a compensator?

Please look at fig1 and fig2 on this photo... what is that cover or shield over the clutch pack in fig1?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Looks like an aftermarket clutch. Fig 1 and 2 are two different bikes.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Nitroharley
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Bandit clutch in Fig 1.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
Why the foxtrot wouldn't Harley engineers come up with a modified solution from the get go?
Because clearly every one of their engineers are idiots, none of whom are smarter than any of the geniuses on hdforums.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroharley
Looks like a Bandit clutch in Fig 1.
I would agree, that is a Bandit Sportsman.
Compensaver is a good product. I have one but only have a couple thousand miles on it. Have a caliper there and measure your compensator & stack height. Also a new bolt. The HD compensator kit will have one. You will need a T70 socket and big old long torque wrench. Hardest part of the job is relieving the webs on the inner primary for the Compensaver tray. The HD tray had been cast in on my primary on mine. A running change by the MOCO; Change the primarys for a better comp, but use up all the inferior ones we have in stock.
I had a Rivera 31 tooth sprocket delivered to day so I'll be going back in mine. Dropping one tooth on the primary socket will help low end grunt & the casting is smoother too.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:18 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BJB
I would agree, that is a Bandit Sportsman.
Compensaver is a good product. I have one but only have a couple thousand miles on it. Have a caliper there and measure your compensator & stack height. Also a new bolt. The HD compensator kit will have one. You will need a T70 socket and big old long torque wrench. Hardest part of the job is relieving the webs on the inner primary for the Compensaver tray. The HD tray had been cast in on my primary on mine. A running change by the MOCO; Change the primarys for a better comp, but use up all the inferior ones we have in stock.
I had a Rivera 31 tooth sprocket delivered to day so I'll be going back in mine. Dropping one tooth on the primary socket will help low end grunt & the casting is smoother too.
If you are referring to the compensator sprocket, the stock one is 34T not 32T.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:29 AM
BJB
Tourer

Yeah, I think you are correct on that. The Rivera is one tooth less than stock and you get a shoe add on to take up difference.
I really like the Compensaver, so far. I have a 09 Dyna that is more of a hot rod and it will get a new compensator this winter. I'm going Baker on that one. New Rotor is right around $200. Would love to see Baker offer theirs w/ one less tooth. Would reaally like to see someone other than HD make a rotor.
I have 3 Harleys (79, 09, 13) and am so DISGUSTED with some of the chit QC / engineering the MO CO does I avoid their parts if at all possible. Thus Baker & I hope there is an aftermarket option for the rotor.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BJB
....Have a caliper there and measure your compensator & stack height. Also a new bolt. The HD compensator kit will have one. You will need a T70 socket and big old long torque wrench. Hardest part of the job is relieving the webs on the inner primary for the Compensaver tray. The HD tray had been cast in on my primary on mine....
Will search for a T70 socket, never read that I needed one of those. But then again, I am waiting on parts from 4 places. Burns my back porch that I have been down for 3 weeks. In part because of work, part number / cost research, and fear of asking questions others would interpret as dumb.

I will get a caliper and measure compensator & stack height but must admit I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the task.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 PM
BJB
Tourer

I'll send you some info on where to find the HD tech notice on it.