Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you didn't tour what bike would you own.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Default If you didn't tour what bike would you own.

Let me explain my per say situation. My daily commute is 20 miles round trip. My riding season is spring till fall. I usually put about 200 miles a weekend pleasure riding during summer months. I do NOT tour. My wife does not like to ride on a motorcycle more than twice a season I need storage preferably hard bags with a detachable back rest and rack.

I can pay cash for just about any model other than the CVO line as i'm unwilling to dump that much cash on a two wheeler. My priorities are not necessarily max performance but comfort and wind protection. I of course demand the 103 engine. I have bad knees so weight is an issue ultimately as i move from 55 years young on when i have to push this bike around not under power.

Would i be going overboard or wasting money to consider a RGU or Road King vs for instance a Switchback. Not seeking bashing just seeking honest opinions. TYIA.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the VRod. I have a ultra cvo and the vrod is a big contrast. It is fun to hot rod down country roads on the vrod. It is the smoothist riding Harley. It is my 5th Harley. After you get use to the riding position, it is a blast. Just my $.02.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:03 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

By the way I am 59 years young.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by akodust
Take a look at the VRod. I have a ultra cvo and the vrod is a big contrast. It is fun to hot rod down country roads on the vrod. It is the smoothist riding Harley. It is my 5th Harley. After you get use to the riding position, it is a blast. Just my $.02.
Thanks for the reply. I don't see alot of them on the road but there are alot of great price deals on used Vrods! I'm surprised we don't see more of them on the road.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:08 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Its really hard answering your question because you throw in so much contradicting information. You're asking if "we" didn't tour what bike would we own. You say you don't tour (yet, you're posting in the touring section). But also, you're considering touring bikes vs. non-touring bikes. And, you don't mention what bike you're riding (nor does your signature).

Doesn't really matter what we all think, what matters is what's comfortable for you. I absolutely love my touring bike. If I had to go with another bike, maybe it'll be a wideglide but I love the comforts of a touring bike. With a touring bike, I love having my stereo. I absolutely love being able to carry stuff with me. I love having cruise control. When my friends and I ride the NC and TN mountains, I know for sure that I ride in comfort which allows me to ride longer. Not to mention, when the seasons starts changing, I can carry different jackets/helmets.

But again, decide what's best for you.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:09 PM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I would have my other bike.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:13 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My touring bike is a 2010 Ultra. My non-touring bike is a 2012 Road Glide Custom.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 PM
waltz4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The do everything bike ...............

Your posts basically states you need a bike that can adapt with your changing needs. The Road King will do everything you ask. You can dress it up easily with a fairing, tour pak, lowers or dress it down even more by removing the windshield and passenger footrests, and adding a solo saddle. There are a ton of great used bike out there. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kryingame
Its really hard answering your question because you throw in so much contradicting information. You're asking if "we" didn't tour what bike would we own. You say you don't tour (yet, you're posting in the touring section). But also, you're considering touring bikes vs. non-touring bikes. And, you don't mention what bike you're riding (nor does your signature).

Doesn't really matter what we all think, what matters is what's comfortable for you. I absolutely love my touring bike. If I had to go with another bike, maybe it'll be a wideglide but I love the comforts of a touring bike. With a touring bike, I love having my stereo. I absolutely love being able to carry stuff with me. I love having cruise control. When my friends and I ride the NC and TN mountains, I know for sure that I ride in comfort which allows me to ride longer. Not to mention, when the seasons starts changing, I can carry different jackets/helmets.

But again, decide what's best for you.
I don't have the time or place or opportunity to ride every model for a week to figure out what might seem to be the best choice. A two hour or day long test ride isn't necessarily a good long term representation of what you may or may not like. Their is no question that i can ride any bike HD makes. Its the other things like having to push that thing without power that are a huge equation in making a choice. Pretty much anybody with any riding experience can ride a 900lb bagger down the interstate brainlessly.

Yes this is a touring forum but i'm seeking personal experience of those that have ridden touring bikes for MANY miles and opted for something more manageable. I'm willing to bet you can't back your bagger up a 15-20 degree incline without a pusher. None of my fellow riders can in fact i get a laugh when i see my friends being helped back their bikes up by there wife or girlfriends. When i push my Sporty backwards pretty much with ease.

I'm searching for the happy medium between a Sportster and Touring models. Nothing with spoke wheels or soft bags. Thanks for your reply!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If and when I give up touring and want a different rude or a second I would personally get the soft tail deuce. My buddy has 2003 and I just love that bike. It is fairly light and has great lines. Not sure if the made any with a 103 though.

Quick Reply: If you didn't tour what bike would you own.