Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System... Do I or Don't I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Carter Stindberg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System... Do I or Don't I?

My 2007 Road King Police didn't come with any key fobs, and the bike starts and runs fine so I don't even know for sure whether it even has a security system or not.

When I turn the ign. key on, a little "key" image at the lower right of the speedo comes on in red for a second or two and then just goes away. Doesn't blink, just comes on with the ign. and then goes away.

Is there a simple way that I can tell if this bike ever had a security system?

I don't even care if it doesn't. I just don't want to be left stranded dead somewhere if it accidently gets activated.

TIA

Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM
Kerr8005
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's anything like the touring bikes, I believe the siren is inside of the left side cover. My '12 Ultra has the Key image that lights in red, but doesn't have security. Which someday I'd like to add, just so I do not have to lock my ign. to secure the bike.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:31 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter Stindberg
My 2007 Road King Police didn't come with any key fobs, and the bike starts and runs fine so I don't even know for sure whether it even has a security system or not.

When I turn the ign. key on, a little "key" image at the lower right of the speedo comes on in red for a second or two and then just goes away. Doesn't blink, just comes on with the ign. and then goes away.

Is there a simple way that I can tell if this bike ever had a security system?

I don't even care if it doesn't. I just don't want to be left stranded dead somewhere if it accidently gets activated.

TIA
Most likely you have no security on the bike, no fobs no security. If you had a siren I would think you would have a fob for sure.

Red key icon is eaxtly that just a dummy light, if you had security the light would blink when the bike is an the off position.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:10 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

to be sure you could look under the seat and check the turn signal tip over module get the part number and check it at the dealer, but others said said the red key coming on and going off when ignition is first turned on is normal for a bike without security. Also it can have security without a siren, the siren was an additional option.

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 03-09-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:53 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

07 was the first year for the proximity fob. there is no way to 'disarm' the system and leave it disarmed as you could with the 06 and below.

so unless there is a fob zip tied somewhere on the bike, you do not have security. like sidecar bob suggested, get the pn off the tsm to be 110%.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

why would a cop bike have security? it's not like they park them at bars or out of the way hotels...

Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Carter Stindberg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
... but others said said the red key coming on and going off when ignition is first turned on is normal for a bike without security. Also it can have security without a siren, the siren was an additional option.

Yea, that sounds like what I (don't) have.

The red "key" light never blinks, it just comes on for a moment and then disappears.
I know that there isn't a siren, so my final check will be to verify the turn signal part number.

I did get the original Police Owners Manual with the bike that came with it, and it covers the use of the Security System in detail. That's why I thought it "might" have the option.

In the end, I wouldn't be disappointed not to have it because I'm never really away from the bike except for when it's in my garage.

Thanks guys.