Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Big Shot Duals - Install Tip

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Big Shot Duals - Install Tip

These pipes ship without gaskets (all V&H ship w/out gaskets I believe). Do yourself a favor & get the screamin' eagle gaskets. Do not waste your time with standard HD gaskets or reuse your old ones.

Secondly - these pipes come with acorn nuts to fasten the headers to the cylinder head. Get rid of those & get some good lock nuts instead. Its not like you can see the "pretty acorns" that well anyway!

I like to do most of the work on my bike - but let the dealership install these pipes while I had them do a complete once over on it (after just buying it). After a couple of weeks - one of the acorn nuts worked its way to becoming less than finger tight. I understand that on newly installed pipes, you need to check your nuts after a few good rides or a couple hundred miles - and retighten'em. No problem. Made no difference here.

When I tried to snug it (and the other nuts) - they kept working their way loose again & I was unable to get the rear cylinder to stop leaking - andthis causedsome ugly popping / backfire on deacceleration.

[NOTE: I had several people tell me "some bikes/pipes just do this - its not "abnormal"; BS! No bike should do it in my opinion. If it does - something has not been checked & either its tuned wrong or there is a leak!]

Took it back to the dealership - they got rid of those acorn nuts & the chewed up exhaust gasket & now everything is running the way it should be. Not so much as a peep on deacceleration & it sounds SWEET.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts
Default RE: Vance & Hines Big Shot Duals - Install Tip

i just recently installed big shots on my rk. my set did not come with acorn nuts.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: skratch

i just recently installed big shots on my rk. my set did not come with acorn nuts.
Interesting...I just shot V&H an email asking'em wtf...if I find out they didn't send'em - I'm gonna have to have a little talk w/the stealership and find out what the hell they were thinking!

Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Mr5150
Advanced

No acorn nuts on mine either... I do check my nuts whenever I can, though. Drives my wife crazy

Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Streetmed
Cruiser

So my question is....because I really dont know a "G" damn thing. Did you buy the whole system (headpipes and mufflers)? If so and you dont mind me asking what did you pay for them? Cause I am looking around and the price is hoovering around650 to $750. Any better prices you all know about I would appreciate you sending the intel my way.
Thanks.

06' Streetglide FLHXI
Assortted chrome and bling
(working on upgrades now)

Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Streetmed

So my question is....because I really dont know a "G" damn thing. Did you buy the whole system (headpipes and mufflers)? If so and you dont mind me asking what did you pay for them? Cause I am looking around and the price is hoovering around650 to $750. Any better prices you all know about I would appreciate you sending the intel my way.
Thanks.

06' Streetglide FLHXI
Assortted chrome and bling
(working on upgrades now)
This particular pipe is a true 2-2 system - in that there is one solid pipe running off of each cylinder. The header & muffler are1 complete piece. You then have heat shields that are installed on the pipes for a stand-up appearance The heat shield covers 220 degrees of circumference of the pipe. See these in person. The pipe is relatively skinny compared to others - and that's what I like about it and the way it looks on my bike.

I got my pipes for $558 from www.cyclespot.com and I got the power commander (you'll need this - see other posts on this subject if you're not familiar with it) for $287 from www.motorcycleproshop.com.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM
exegisic
Stage III

I spoke with guy at Axiom Cycles.http://www.axiomcycles.com Not only were the prices the best but he helped and answered my questions. I got set up with pipes and the terminal velocity. Wow, what a difference.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Trimster
Cruiser

Ive been running Big Shot Duals for about 10k miles or so now. No acorn nuts came with mine, Ive had to remove the pipes myself a time or 2 (change tire.etc), and i recommend a new gasket each time. Their cheap insurance.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:04 AM
streetglide88
Cruiser

Hey streetmed...check with easternperformance.com they've got great prices and really fast delivery...

Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i got mine from zanottis, paid 530 for em (plus i had a 50 dollar chrome cash certif made my total 480).