Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 through 98 Tranny with oil pan in a 90-92?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM
lnichols
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 through 98 Tranny with oil pan in a 90-92?

So I have had my 90 Electra Glide now for 8 years, and have to replace the charging system again. Since this requires removing the primary, I plan on doing some major modifications to it over the winter like a 6 speed kit, larger front wheel (21" most likely), maybe a fairing upgrade to more modern guage layout, etc. I'm even toying with the idea of going to a Kraft Tech frame with the 30 degree rake, but that might not be in the budget now. After owning the 90 I have realized in hindsight I would have looked for a 93 or newer as the 90 through 92 (and really the 86 through 92) were the bastard years for changes. Anyway I have what I have and a newer bike is not in the cards. I have already done some mods to the existing chassis like cutting out the side battery and moving it under the seat with a cut down 93+ battery box, and putting on bags for the 93+ model, as well as installing quick detach kits for backrest and Tour Pack. The one thing I hate about the bike is the oil tank on the side. It limits my battery size under the seat (using a smaller Softail battery and not a Touring), and puts a lot of additional heat under the seat and right up next to the battery.

So I'm trying to find out if there is anything that would prevent me from installing a 93-98 Touring transmission with the oil tank in a 90 Touring. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to put the newer transmission case with the oil pan in the 90 frame. I have already moved the oil filter to the front of the bike with the 3 Guyz kit because the old filter housing that connected to the transmission stripped out, and I think that the filter was only thing that is where the oil tanks on the 93+ would have been in the way. Anyway if you know if this is swap in part or known somebody who has done please post up. If I can do it I will look about buying a 93 to 98 used transmission and putting in the Ultima 6 Speed gear set in before installing it in the bike. I will cut a piece of metal, powder coat it, and bolt it in place of the old oil tank once removed. Thanks.