Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary (Whirling)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts
Default Primary (Whirling)

I had the inner primary bearing\race replaced along with a SE Comp. I've been now noticing a "wine" or "whistle" on decel only. You let off the throttle and you hear a "wine"... I don't know how to describe the noise. I've heard cars with tranny build that sound just like the noise my bike is now making on decel. Also have what I would describe as a knock at idol. Not continuously but the bike will idol, drop down to about 900 rpm has kind of a knock, idol kicks back up to 1000\1100 rpm and is fine. I already have a call into the shop to ride it back over and have them listen to it, but just curious if anyone has any idea why the noises after the parts were replaced. I know the shop also said they put in an STS bearing race? Supposed to be a better race (better material) then the OEM one.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 333 Posts

Primary chain may be too tight.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:37 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
Primary chain may be too tight.
That was my thought too. I've had that happen a few times over the life of one of my bikes. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the tensioner will occasionally ratchet up to the next adjustment too soon and be tight for a while until the tensioner pad wears, chain stretches a little, or combination of both. I don't think it's anything to worry about, it will go away soon as it wears.

As far as the idle issue, is the engine warm or cold or happens all the time? My assumption would be that it's not fully up to temperature and the computer is trying to let it warm idle when it's not ready. It will knock a little just before it is about to die and the computer catches it and makes adjustments to keep it running. I don't think it's anything to worry about either unless it's constant.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:25 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by EdwardK
That was my thought too. I've had that happen a few times over the life of one of my bikes. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the tensioner will occasionally ratchet up to the next adjustment too soon and be tight for a while until the tensioner pad wears, chain stretches a little, or combination of both. I don't think it's anything to worry about, it will go away soon as it wears.

As far as the idle issue, is the engine warm or cold or happens all the time? My assumption would be that it's not fully up to temperature and the computer is trying to let it warm idle when it's not ready. It will knock a little just before it is about to die and the computer catches it and makes adjustments to keep it running. I don't think it's anything to worry about either unless it's constant.
idle issue is noticed mostly warm, however I did notice it this AM when I started my bike and it was just warming up as I put on my gear. But what you are describing is what is happening. It knocks a little the computer catches it and it idols it up to about 1100 rpm. When I hear it knock a little it was dropped to about 900 rpm idol.

Only reason I was wondering about either is because they both seemed to surface after the inner primary bearing\race and compensator were replaced. Wasn't sure if maybe one thing was all of a sudden causing both issues. I got what your saying about the tensioner and that makes sense. I'll ride it over to the shop tomorrow after work and just let them listen to it and take it for a quick ride. You can hear the primary wine when slowing down just in the parking lot.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:44 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

My Limited will sometimes will hunt a little and bounce around when warming up. It will occasionally do exactly what we are talking about. I'm reaching here but when was the last time you looked at your air filter? I just remembered telling my indy about this problem once and he smiled at me and told me to clean my air filter. He reached up under the football and pulled out his finger covered in grime. Smiled even bigger. I hope yours is a similar simple issue.

He knows me too well. I commute daily year round on my Road King and treat it like most people treat their car. I change the fluids as directed in the manual but other than that, I start it and go. I never check any level unless I see fluid on or under it. I check the air in the tires when it takes effort to back it out of the garage in the morning. Went 113,000 miles like that before rebuilding it and only did it because I had the money at the time. It was still running ok.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:15 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

My Limited will sometimes will hunt a little and bounce around when warming up. It will occasionally do exactly what we are talking about. I'm reaching here but when was the last time you looked at your air filter? I just remembered telling my indy about this problem once and he smiled at me and told me to clean my air filter. He reached up under the football and pulled out his finger covered in grime. Smiled even bigger. I hope yours is a similar simple issue.

He knows me too well. I commute daily year round on my Road King and treat it like most people treat their car. I change the fluids as directed in the manual but other than that, I start it and go. I never check any level unless I see fluid on or under it. I check the air in the tires when it takes effort to back it out of the garage in the morning. Went 113,000 miles like that before rebuilding it and only did it because I had the money at the time. It was still running ok.
:-)... good point! I think we kind of ride the same way, what you just described is exactly how I ride mine as well. I'll go check it now.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:26 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Ya, pretty filthy... Cleaning it now.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:58 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Well last straw. Took my bike back in. I believe cleaning the K&N filter did fix the low idol issue, however the whirling issue the shop now thinks is most likely coming from the trans bearing. After just replacing the inner primary bearing\race and a new SE Comp, if the trans bearing is now bad also, that it... It's getting traded on an M8. I love my '09 and it's built the way I like it, but it just seems to have gotten to be one thing after the next since I had the '107 build done. If I upgrade to the M8, stage one will be all I ever do to any bike going forward.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

That's a tough decision to make. I had my trans rebuilt in my RKC for about $900. Same issue but mine was to the point it was leaking. Do you spend the $900 and hope you are trouble free for a long time on a bike you have set up just the way you like it, or buy the new bike?

I have a 2013 limited but only four years later there are a lot of nice features on the new bikes that I'd like. Better stereo, suspension, and of course, the new motor just to name a few. But like you, I just now got it where I want it, there's nothing wrong with it, and it's almost paid for.

I don't envy you, those decisions will keep you up at night. Both before and after you make a choice.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:18 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

That's a tough decision to make. I had my trans rebuilt in my RKC for about $900. Same issue but mine was to the point it was leaking. Do you spend the $900 and hope you are trouble free for a long time on a bike you have set up just the way you like it, or buy the new bike?

I have a 2013 limited but only four years later there are a lot of nice features on the new bikes that I'd like. Better stereo, suspension, and of course, the new motor just to name a few. But like you, I just now got it where I want it, there's nothing wrong with it, and it's almost paid for.

I don't envy you, those decisions will keep you up at night. Both before and after you make a choice.

Good luck!
thx bud... but you are 110% correct. Sure I may get it fixed for another $900 and it might be trouble free... Maybe an upgrade to a 15 or 16 may also work?? Do a stage one and add the touches I like to it?? Your right, no sleep, I just got the thing back last Wed from the other work....

Quick Reply: Primary (Whirling)