Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 03:44 PM
cookie_62
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key fob batteries

Today I went out to the garage (attached not heated) to start my SG, just to hear it run. Turned on the ignition and everything was fine but wouldn't turn over. I then realized the security lights were flashing. I keep the key fob in a pocket on the fairing, went in to get the other fob and it started right up. Question is does leaving the fob on the bike run the battery down?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:58 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

What year is the bike?
Maybe just time to replace the fob battery.
I replace my fob battery every 3 years. For a couple of bucks it's worth the peace of mind.
I leave my fob in the tourpak year round and never had a problem with it going dead.
I also replace the bike battery every 4 years for the same reason.

And by the way, don't start your bike in the cold weather unless your going to ride it for at least 15-20 mins.
If not all the way up to operating temp, it will cause condensation in the engine and do more harm then good.
I don't touch mine until I'm ready to ride in the spring.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 12-02-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cookie_62
Today I went out to the garage (attached not heated) to start my SG, just to hear it run. Turned on the ignition and everything was fine but wouldn't turn over. I then realized the security lights were flashing. I keep the key fob in a pocket on the fairing, went in to get the other fob and it started right up. Question is does leaving the fob on the bike run the battery down?
Not sure but I think it does. I keep my fob in the house in part so that I can't start the bike without putting it on my belt and I also think leaving on or near the bike lessens the fob battery life. I keep my spare in the saddle bag with the battery removed. Last time I replaced a fob battery was at least 2 years ago. 10 packs or more are cheap on Amazon or ebay.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:18 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 461 Posts

A fob stored in the bike provides no security at all. Might just as well put the security system into the maintenance mode and never worry about a fob battery again. Of course, that would require reading the manual, and most security questions can be answered that way.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:52 PM
cookie_62
Advanced

Originally Posted by btsom
A fob stored in the bike provides no security at all. Might just as well put the security system into the maintenance mode and never worry about a fob battery again. Of course, that would require reading the manual, and most security questions can be answered that way.
I don't leave it in the pouch when I ride, Just when it's parked in the garage. Also the manual says nothing about the question I asked.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:56 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

1.) batteries run down over time...and with cold don;t work as well- so you had a cold fob and a warm fob and the warm fob worked.

2.) RIGHT NOW is the time to KNOW how the set the and enter the PIN to over ride the alarm. ( otherwise next year there will be yet another post from an owner who had to get his bike towed...with the lights flashing the whole way and killed the big battery)

3.) if you start your bike run your bike enough to recharge the energy used from the battery to start it and the warm the motor and tranny fully to boil off water from condensation.
hot/cold cycles form water inside the cases, which can cause rust.
a happily stored bike was washed and waxed, has fresh oil in it and the battery inside on the bench

mike

The following users liked this post:
cookie_62 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I get a new FOB battery every year and rotate the FOBs every year so never a battery older than 2 yrs.

I believe the longer it's in proximity to the bike the shorter the battery life is.
Never had one of my spares not work.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 PM
cookie_62
Advanced

It wasn't that cold (mid 40's), and I let it run for about 40 minutes. I set the security code the day I brought it home.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:29 PM
muddmann
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I leave mine in the windshield pouch when parked in my garage. Rest of the time I keep it in my pocket.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:30 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Here's an informative discussion we had on this very subject a while back.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tery-poll.html

The following users liked this post:
cookie_62 (12-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Key fob batteries