Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals vs. 2 into 1 Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:53 PM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True Duals vs. 2 into 1 Exhaust System

I have a 96" 2011 Ultra Glide that I plan to install a S&S 107 without any headwork. I realize from all the reading in various forums that a 2 into 1 exhaust will provide the best power gains. However, because my wife rides two up with me quite a bit, I don't want to blast the exhaust sound of a 2 into 1 system in her ear so that's why I'm leaning towards the V&H 450 Raider Power Duals.

My question is, how much power and torque difference is left on the table by going true duals ?

I appreciate the help in advance.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:02 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

You don't loose power, good true duals usually give you slightly higher hp #'s, 2-1 move your torque curve to the left so the power comes on sooner, torque is what you want in baggers

Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

My 100hp ultra with true duals was a pig compared to my 76hp SG with a 2-1 Reinhart.

The Ultra would hit hard from 3200 on. And if you're a bar hopper that don't ride a lot. Or just bar to bar bike night to bike night. It was right on. You'll be the first one there. Lol.

The SG. Was all around fun to ride. Hit right away. But manageable for any type of riding.

And those are just my opinions on my bikes and how I like to ride.

My 16 RGS has a stock header gutted and CVO slip ons with Fullsac 2.0" baffles. If and when I do a full system. It will be a 2-1. If not it will be a power dual type header 2-1-2.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:37 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

the motor mods you buy will either be helped or hindered by your exhaust choice- so select the work and the cams and the exhaust which will all work together-

a 2500 rpm cam and a 5500 rpm exhaust will give poor results all across the board....the exhaust won;t let the cams make power down low and the cams won;t allow the exhaust to work up high.

...and head work and flow characteristics are crucial.

what you want to do is get a complete system from a vendor with repeatable results which will incorporate heads, cams, intake fuel/spark and exhaust which all work together- having this is more important than a few cubic inches one way or the other

and if total noise and your wife's ears are a concern, the supertrapp supermeg style pipes and the fuel moto E series allow great power and noise control.

Mike

Old 01-15-2017, 06:47 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by tj316
You don't loose power, good true duals usually give you slightly higher hp #'s, 2-1 move your torque curve to the left so the power comes on sooner, torque is what you want in baggers
tj,

Thanks for your input !

Old 01-15-2017, 06:57 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by RFG
My 100hp ultra with true duals was a pig compared to my 76hp SG with a 2-1 Reinhart.

The Ultra would hit hard from 3200 on. And if you're a bar hopper that don't ride a lot. Or just bar to bar bike night to bike night. It was right on. You'll be the first one there. Lol.

The SG. Was all around fun to ride. Hit right away. But manageable for any type of riding.

My 16 RGS has a stock header gutted and CVO slip ons with Fullsac 2.0" baffles. If and when I do a full system. It will be a 2-1. If not it will be a power dual type header 2-1-2.
RFG,

Is the 2-1-2 comparable to to a 2-1 system ? I've been looking at the Vance and Hines power duals 2-1-2. Do you have an opinion about these pipes ?'

Thanks

Last edited by twoseas; 01-15-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:57 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by RFG

RFG,

Is the 2-1-2 comparable to a 2-1 system ? I've been looking at the Vance and Hines power duals 2-1-2. Do you have an opinion about these pipes ?'

Thanks

Old 01-15-2017, 07:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

I do, on a mild motor there is little if any advantage to the PD's over stock header with the cat removed.

on a rt turn with a lowered bike- and/or a dip where the suspension compresses, the cover on the X pipe can hit hard and relieve traction from the rear tire causing a slide.

more than a few of us have experienced this
a 2/1/2 will act much like a 2/1 at low rpms...most of the gasses flow through the rt side.

at higher rpms gasses flow through both sides.

the large internal volume of the touring 2/1/2 system is why the same TCA motor makes about 3 hp more than when placed on a dyna which has a smaller volume exhaust tract

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-15-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:11 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by twoseas
RFG,

Is the 2-1-2 comparable to a 2-1 system ? I've been looking at the Vance and Hines power duals 2-1-2. Do you have an opinion about these pipes ?'

Thanks
This is on my limited knowledge. And like was said. Depending on your build. Each set up will produce a desired result.

They way I see it. With out adding cams. Although I don't believe they fix all the low end loss.

2-1 exhaust will give you the most low end torque.
2-1-2 will net the next best thing to a 2-1 if you want to keep the low end torque yet need the look of 2 pipes.
2-2 for me is about looks and sound. With no cares about starting out like the anchor is out.

There is data to support this. But like I said. This is my view of the 3 different set ups

I do believe I should have put a 2-1 on my Ultra and would have changed the way the bike reacted. But was done putting money into it.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:17 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

2-1-2 is not necessarily comparable with a 2-1 but similar in that the torque does hit sooner than a true dual, I've found 2-1 the torque is better yet a good 2-1-2 will have good torque and hp numbers too

Quick Reply: True Duals vs. 2 into 1 Exhaust System