Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire cupping on a bagger

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:38 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Always run at or close to the recommended pressure for your specific tire. It's recommended for a reason.

The max pressure on the tire is the at the load safety limit. Don't run above that pressure. Besides, you'll end up with quicker wear around the center line of the tire because it's running too hard and not compressing properly against the pavement.

I've been quite happy at 38/40. 40/40 is fine as well. I think the max front is 41 at the weight limit.

It's perfectly ok to try a pound or two one way or the other from the recommended. See what you like best.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:02 AM
07FXSTOki
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My front Avon tire cupped on my 2007 Softail pretty bad on Okinawa. HD Service Manager there said it was because of the coral sand they used in the concrete on the roads. Funny it was always on just the one side.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,262 Likes on 822 Posts

I rather suspect the cupping goes across the tire, but because of normal wear, it it not nearly so obvious as it is on the tire edges.

To create rythmic scalloping takes a rythmic frequency. Something (s) working together to create a pulsating high load. Tire pressure has a direct influence on the tires resonant frequency. But fork damping has a strong influence on the frequency of the bikes forces on the tire contact patch. Braking is hardly ever smooth, also creating pulsing, strongly felt by the tire contact patch. Even the deflection frequently of the fork tubes themselves.

No claim of "the answer", just some observations on the forces that can readily create front tire cupping.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 AM
07FXSTOki
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I rather suspect the cupping goes across the tire, but because of normal wear, it it not nearly so obvious as it is on the tire edges.

To create rythmic scalloping takes a rythmic frequency. Something (s) working together to create a pulsating high load. Tire pressure has a direct influence on the tires resonant frequency. But fork damping has a strong influence on the frequency of the bikes forces on the tire contact patch. Braking is hardly ever smooth, also creating pulsing, strongly felt by the tire contact patch. Even the deflection frequently of the fork tubes themselves.

No claim of "the answer", just some observations on the forces that can readily create front tire cupping.
Nope mine cupped down the whole one side of the tire. When you rolled it, it was real noticeable. I have a picture somewhere as I was almost afraid to ride the dam thing.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:53 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,733 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Well.... once they do cup it's pretty easy to un-cup them.

This works wonders and only takes a few minutes.

Jack the bike up, start the bike, and put it in 1st gear. Put the rasp on the ground facing up and lift it up to the tire.
Works awesome and has the tire running smooth as silk again in minutes.

Last edited by lp; 01-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,116 Likes on 492 Posts

Mine cupped pretty bad, but as it happened slow, I didn't notice the degradation in handling, until they were replaced.
Also, the cupped tires were annoying as hell with the buzzing noise every time you leaned off center.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,250 Likes on 1,989 Posts

This is on the edge of these tires?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
This is on the edge of these tires?
Yep. If you visualize the top of the tire as 12 o'clock, then the cupping occurs between 10-11 and 1-2.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 327 Likes on 147 Posts

Don't remember my Dunlops cupping quite as bad as the Metz, and I don't know that I'd use a rasp on the rotating tire either to even the tread out, but its an interesting concept.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:22 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I found out with a few of my bikes, BMW R1200rt, Goldwing and BMW 1200rs that tire pressure was a big factor. A few pounds can make a big difference with regards to how much tires will cup. Doesn't seem to be an issue with Ultra LTD.

Quick Reply: Tire cupping on a bagger