Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 PM
davlyo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System

Re.: 2007 Road King Custom

My Stator Plug is leaking -read a bunch of threads on this subject,
I'm going to replace my Stator, not rig it with sealant.
I'm gong to get a new Voltage Regulator to be on the safe side.
I'm going to need all the gaskets when I put the primary cover back on.

Can someone tell me the HD part number to replace my OEM Stator?
Can someone tell me the HD part number to replace my OEM Voltage Regulator?

Is there a Screamin Eagle replacement for my OEM Stator?
Is there a Screamin Eagle replacement for my OEM Voltage Regulator?

Is there a Charging Kit for my 2007 Road King that included the gaskets, etc?

Lastly -does anyone suggest something other than HD OEM or Screamin Eagle?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Old 02-13-2017, 07:08 PM
pahasapa
Intermediate

Cycle Electric .

Old 02-13-2017, 07:22 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's a link to Ronnie's website that lists all parts for your bike.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,064 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I wouldn't replace a Harley stator or R/R with anything but Cycle Electric.

The following users liked this post:
davlyo (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:03 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 322 Likes on 244 Posts

I replaced my whole system with Cycle Electric as well. You'll need to find a CE authorized vendor in your area to sell you the parts.

http://cycleelectricinc.com/

Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

This will take more thought then you think.
A lot will depend on the millage on the bike, the parts currently in the primary, and the condition of those parts.

If you have the original compensator in there you have a rotor with an integral spring-pack for the compensator. From what I have read, that compensator is no longer available. If the comp. shows signs of wear you should replace it.

If the compensator is worn you will need to replace it with either a SE compensator or an after market (like the Baker) both of which would use a newer style rotor without the integral spring-pack.

If a SE compensator has already been put in then you already have the newer style rotor.
In any event, you don’t want to order a kit from CE for your bike (if still available) that has a rotor with the integral spring-pack if you can’t use it or it will need to be replaced soon because the comp. will need replacing. You may want to consider ordering just the regulator and stator form CE. You may want to call CE.

As a side note, when I installed my CE stator I had the HD and CE stator side-by-side on the bench. I could not believe the difference between them. Even my friend, an electrical engineer, could not believe the quality difference. (The rotor I received from CE was actually a HD rotor. Reading through their site at the time it appeared HD finally came out with a decent rotor that CE approved of. The one I ordered was without the integral spring-pack.)

You will also have to look at the primary chain adjuster and the inner primary bearing while you are in there.

Good luck with what you decide.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM
davlyo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
This will take more thought then you think.
A lot will depend on the millage on the bike, the parts currently in the primary, and the condition of those parts.

If you have the original compensator in there you have a rotor with an integral spring-pack for the compensator. From what I have read, that compensator is no longer available. If the comp. shows signs of wear you should replace it.

If the compensator is worn you will need to replace it with either a SE compensator or an after market (like the Baker) both of which would use a newer style rotor without the integral spring-pack.

If a SE compensator has already been put in then you already have the newer style rotor.
In any event, you don’t want to order a kit from CE for your bike (if still available) that has a rotor with the integral spring-pack if you can’t use it or it will need to be replaced soon because the comp. will need replacing. You may want to consider ordering just the regulator and stator form CE. You may want to call CE.

As a side note, when I installed my CE stator I had the HD and CE stator side-by-side on the bench. I could not believe the difference between them. Even my friend, an electrical engineer, could not believe the quality difference. (The rotor I received from CE was actually a HD rotor. Reading through their site at the time it appeared HD finally came out with a decent rotor that CE approved of. The one I ordered was without the integral spring-pack.)

You will also have to look at the primary chain adjuster and the inner primary bearing while you are in there.

Good luck with what you decide.
Thank you for sharing your insight -

Originally Posted by pahasapa
Cycle Electric .
Thank you

Originally Posted by EG-2006
Here's a link to Ronnie's website that lists all parts for your bike.
Thank you

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
I replaced my whole system with Cycle Electric as well. You'll need to find a CE authorized vendor in your area to sell you the parts.

http://cycleelectricinc.com/
Thanks for the Link

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-28-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,673 Likes on 2,557 Posts

+ 100 on Cycle Electric

rk classic

Old 02-14-2017, 01:15 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

Have you priced everything you need yet? My stator and regulator recently failed on my 08. My indy is much cheaper than a dealer and was still $650 to replace.

A good sealant job wont be noticeable and only cost a tube of sealant.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I replaced my alternator with the HD high output unit. It's been about 1 1/2 years since install and so far I'm very happy with the performance. This kit moves the voltage regulator up and away from the hot oil cooler. This is a plus IMHO. I believe the Cycle Electric regulator does the same thing. I found a dealer from Denver, Colorado on ebay and got the whole kit delivered for $399.99. Here's a link to Harley's online site that shows all you get: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...harging-system

Last edited by Boomer1143; 02-14-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Charging System