Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Solo w/backrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mustang Solo w/backrest

Just took a 50 mile ride with the Mustang Solo w/backrest ($383 + 10 Shipping from Charlies HD). I'm 5'8" and have 30" inseam, 195lb. I tested the seat with the backrest on. The seat appears to be made very well. Installation was a snap. For the 2007, you need the nuts, that you have to buy separate for $8. For a clean installation, you also need the Mustang bib, also $8. I got the short bib, since my HD solo rack covers the fender anyway. The backrest is wide and very supportive and it tilts down for mounting. By the way the instructions say that the RK Custom seat also fits the RK Classic.

1. The seat is wider than the stock seat up front making it harder for me to plant my feet completely on the ground. I had no problem doing this with the stock seat. I can feel the preasure under my thighs from the wider area even when riding.

2. The seat moved me forward at least an inch. I was not expecting this. I'll have to have the seat modified to correct this.

3. The seat appears to be at least half an inch higher than stock. This will also have to be addressed this winter when I have it modified.

4. As for comfort, it felt ok for the short ride. I need more time on the saddle for a final determination. The backrest felt awesome, lots of support.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:55 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 648 Likes on 316 Posts
Default RE: Mustang Solo w/backrest

Good report. I bought the wide solo without the backrest direct from Mustang. I installed it on my 07 EG Classic Thurs night. Did not need the nuts - there were nuts already on studs under the stock seat. I replaced the white nylon washers with large dia black nylon washers. I bought chrome nut covers from auto zone to clean up the look. I rode it today to "Thunder On The Mountain" in Monteagle, TN about 250 mile round trip. Rained on it while parked all day, vinyl has its positives. Not as soft as stock, but I never got serious butt numbness. Same report from me on the square edge bearing down on the inside of your thighs when at a stop. The seat seems to sit me about 1" higher than the stock Comfort Stitch. Interestingly, I got just the opposite effect from you in one regard - I sit further back w/the Mustang - maybe too far back - I'll give it a chance and see, but I definitely felt some arm strain reaching further forward. The one thing that's really bothering me is that the seat seems to be tilted back a little making me slump and causing some lower back uncomfort - you tend to slide backwards towards the rim. I sat level in the Comfort Stitch. I hope it will break in to my rear end over time, we'll see. I really like the look and the little fine weave-like trim bead at the seams. I tend to take a while to physically adapt to ergo changes. Talk to me in a month and I may rave about it. For now, ehh, its ok in comfort and looks really good for the money ($259).

Old 06-03-2007, 09:55 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I need to ride some more to really figure the seat out. However, the backrest keeps you from slumping or sliding all the way back and gives tremendous back support while alliviating arm "hang on" effort. Maybe when I ride it without the backrest it will aloow me to slide further back in the seat.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:17 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mus seat and backrest. Love 'em.

Hack

Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: casique

1. The seat is wider than the stock seat up front making it harder for me to plant my feet completely on the ground. I had no problem doing this with the stock seat. I can feel the preasure under my thighs from the wider area even when riding.
I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and am having no trouble with this. I have the SG which has the same lowered suspension as your RKS.

2. The seat moved me forward at least an inch. I was not expecting this. I'll have to have the seat modified to correct this.
3. The seat appears to be at least half an inch higher than stock. This will also have to be addressed this winter when I have it modified.
It's been a while since I made the switch, but I didn't notice a change in position.

4. As for comfort, it felt ok for the short ride. I need more time on the saddle for a final determination. The backrest felt awesome, lots of support.
I've had mine (#79100) installed for about six months and took my first long ride (420 miles) yesterday. I've taken many 100-200-milers since installing the seat, but didn't consider that an adequte test. After yesterday I can safely assert the seat is a winner. During the day I made a few "adjustments" of position in the interest of comfort, but never felt uncomfortable at any time. It was easily the equal of the Corbin's I've used on my previous bike. I also have the backrest and consider it a must. So far, I have no complaints about this seat.

I installed the mini fender bib and the regular big together. The regular bib is poorly made and bulges at the rear, like the first one I installed that I ended up returning. I am giving up on it and will be ordering another bib, probably from Timber Wolf Leather (www.timberwolfleather.com), which are obviously leather instead of vinyl.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

I have the solo seat with backrest as well and find it to be much more comfortablethen the stock seat.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes some miles to get used to the seat height and position. Trust me, after a tank of gas or two you won't want to go back to your stock seat. I've been through this too.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 PM
r looney
Stage I

I've also found that the mustang seat places me farther back and i do tend to slump if backrest is not on. Other than that it is a great seat, love the look compared to stock seat.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:44 PM
jimmy z
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have studded version on my 06 RKC.Looks great/feels great.Will be looking for studded passenger seat and sissy bar pad in near future (When I feel like changing the solo look of the bike)

Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

For those of you that found the Mustang seat w/backrest sits you closer, have you tried the offset backrest post?

http://www.mustangseats.com/accessories/offsetdbr.html