Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you carry extra gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I've never run out of fuel, so I don't plan on carrying any extra. BUT...if I was in a situation where there was a good chance I might not make it to the next fuel stop I'd do this. Fill the tank like normal. Then buy a gallon jug of windshield washer fluid, or milk, or a couple 2 liter bottles of soda. Dump it out and squirt little gasoline in it...slosh it around...dump it out...do it again until there's nothing but gasoline in it.

Yeah...I know it's "illegal" to dispense into a non-approved container and also illegal to dump fuel on the ground, but I doubt there will be any Fire Department personnel or undercover EPA agents conducting surveillance in the area.

Then fill the jug with gas, screw on the lid and secure it to the bike with a cargo net or some bungee cords. Ride 50 miles. Stop. Pour the fuel in the tank. Toss the plastic jug in the ditch, or strap it back on the bike if you are concerned about saving the planet.

Yeah...I know it's dangerous to ride with gas on the bike, but if the alternative is to run out of fuel halfway between here and Tentflap Arizona I personally would risk it. And the danger would be minimal. If you're in a part of the country with no gas stations, you're probably in a part of the country that has very little traffic. Hence, you are not likely to get into a crash with a gallon of gas on the passenger seat in the next 50 miles. Just don't ride like a crazy man, which you shouldn't do even if you don't have a gasoline bomb strapped to the fender.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:48 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

If you ride a Triumph Rocket, you would need extra gas.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

i dont.

i rode 19k in 23 days. entire contential us, plus parts of Canada

no extra fuel. day night, overnight. tank to tank. 250 miles on a 10 fltrx getting 45 mpg, tuned super fuel efficent.

never could not find fuel. so, dont carry it, dont plan on starting.

if i run out, got a cell phone.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:39 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Harley actually makes ( or did make) a small (1 gal) approved fuel container that fits perfectly in the FLHRC leather saddle bag. I bought it but have never needed it. Thought it might be helpful if someone else on a group ride had a tiny peanut style tank.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Funny how the urbanites, interstate dwellers, and Starbucks cruisers are not worried about gas availability. But, if you really want to explore the least known areas, it becomes an issue. There are many areas in the West where gas availability is not a given. So, I carry 2 Full Reda cans when long term cruising...and used them once.

The following users liked this post:
trace2008 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Funny how the urbanites, interstate dwellers, and Starbucks cruisers are not worried about gas availability. But, if you really want to explore the least known areas, it becomes an issue. There are many areas in the West where gas availability is not a given. So, I carry 2 Full Reda cans when long term cruising...and used them once.
Trigeezer,
with all due respect. i live in the Mountain West, specifically Montana and have covered the lower 48, and most of Canada on a bike. i ride approx 20 to 25k a year and i do it living in a state, where winter can be short at 5 months or long at 7 or 8, depending on year.

in addition, in covering the USA, i very rarely do it riding interstates or staying only in urban areas. ive ridden the PCH from SF to the Columbia River, i crossed Lolo pass, the beartooth, ridden hwy 50, going to the sun road, million dollar highway, covered the UP, crossed the mackinac bridge, ridden the natchez trace and hundreds of other scenic roads and byways all on a bike and ive NEVER carried gas.

not saying i have not been concerned about running out of fuel or having close calls. i have. But I have never packed a flammable explosive liquid just so i can have peace of mind.

so i respectfully request, when you decide to lump us, non gas carrying riders, all together as urbanites interstate dewellers, or my personal favorite starbucks cruisers, you consider a few of us might actually have considerable riding experience and have made a decision to understand the machinery we ride and can make an intelligent decision to purchase fuel before we need it thus negating the requirements for carrying fuel.

i only wish you the best and i hope you never run out of fuel.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

used the reda can last week. had 136 miles on the 5 gal tank,planned on going two more miles then ran out. Price I pay with engine mods , can get anyware between 28-42 mpg.

just knowing im covered and can push it a little instead of always topping it off is physcological gold mine for me.

trace2008 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

One of the most noted reasons for not carrying extra fuel is the concern of packing a flammable liquid in the bike. While I can see the point I find it a bit moot since we routinely carry 5 or 6 gallons between our knees in a fuel tank that's not particularly well sealed.
I don't carry spare fuel and never have. Close calls, yeah, a couple but never run out completely. I wouldn't have any worry about carrying some if I thought I might need it but I don't really think I do. I will say I miss the old reserve system on my past bikes. Whenever I hit reserve I knew I had 35ish miles to be on the lookout for a station. The low fuel idiot light is too easy for me to miss or forget. I still set an odometer whenever I refuel, a habit left over from those reserve days.

trace2008 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM
trace2008
Extreme HDF Member

Received 6,570 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Only on road trips that cover 500 miles or more, but a QRT oil jug of gas packed in a bag works for me.