Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash electrical fault when fork turned left to park

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 AM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Dash electrical fault when fork turned left to park

I've got an odd occurance that just started showing up.

2005 Ultra with 97K

When I'm getting ready to park and turn my forks to the left, the tach stops working, the right turn signal switch becomes inactive and I noticed this AM the light bulb for the odometer goes out, and I think something else becomes disconnected somewhere as the little engine and key lights in the speedo came on when I straightened it up.

Are all these in a combined harness somewhere that might have worked loose?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

No, I don't believe those share a connector. But they are all in the faring. Only 7 screws to pull the outer faring. Just get in there and check all the connectors and clean and reseat them. Also check for rubbing/damaged wires.
I was just in my faring and was surprised how many connectors were loose from their holders.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Chasing shorts and breaks in wires can really be drudge work, ya just gotta get in there and get it done.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Strange things can happen when an electrical gremlin gets loose, some of them may not be logical. As OR suggests take a look inside the fairing. Having done so move the bars to and fro - watch what things move as you do so, they may lead you to the culprit. Check all connectors also for any damage to wires, such as wires rubbing against something they shouldn't be touching. These sorts of problem are often mechanical, in other words down to bad connections or ground, damaged wire(s).

Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Ultra 99
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The wires in the harnesses that run along the frame can sometimes break within the insulation of each wire, especially at the neck of the frame, from repetitive moving back and forth over the years whenever you turn the forks. These breaks are hard to isolate. Next time it happens maybe try jiggling the harnesses in that area to see if you can get it to connect.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

I had a similar electrical gremlin on my bike. When I'd turn left, my tail lights would blow a fuse. I took the outer fairing off, replaced the fuse and started turning the forks. I finally saw a small spark in one of the wires and heard the fuse pop.

I'd say start by taking the front fairing off and start looking when wiggling wires around and see if you can recreate the problem. Electrical problems are a PITA.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:59 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra 99
The wires in the harnesses that run along the frame can sometimes break within the insulation of each wire, especially at the neck of the frame, from repetitive moving back and forth over the years whenever you turn the forks. These breaks are hard to isolate. Next time it happens maybe try jiggling the harnesses in that area to see if you can get it to connect.
Best answer

Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

There is a ground wire from the main harness that "Y's" off the steering, forks, possible this is breaking because of movement or the connection is loose.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra 99

Yes this.

The harness is about 1" in diameter; if you don't find anything rubbing under the fairing (not likely since the problem is intermittent?), this is where I would look. You will have to strip back the loom (you can always re-wrap the wires when done) to be able to get to the wires (several); once the wires are accessible run them between your fingers (like pinching) one at a time and you will most likely find some that the wire has broken inside the insulation (you will know them if you have them) since it will feel as if nothing is under the insulation, but the insulation is still in tact. Don't ask how I know.....good luck and patience will help.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
There is a ground wire from the main harness that "Y's" off the steering, forks, possible this is breaking because of movement or the connection is loose.

Yep, this too; this one usually breaks right at the sta-kon connector when it goes, but it may also work itself loose too.

Quick Reply: Dash electrical fault when fork turned left to park